Re: [802.19] Conference Call on TVWS Coexistence

Dear Steve, Mark, Ari, Mika,

I would like to thank the authors of the draft PAR for the work they did
in starting this discussion off at a very good point and offer some
comments/suggestions of my own.  I also want to thanks Stanislav and the
rest of the NICT team for their detailed comments, some of which I will
refer to and to which I want to add my own 2 cents.

-- Scope and Purpose:  I have the same general feeling as the NICT team
in regards to the need to address 802 and non-802 networks.  However, as
a practical matter, this is an 802 standard and I believe we can express
a desire that the standard be welcomes beyond 802, but not more then
that. Furthermore, I think that coexistence of devices within the same
network (i.e. same 802 technology and  same operator) is something that
is (or should be) handled by each individual 802 MAC/PHY standard and
not fall within the standard we are proposing. On the other hand, we
should address coexistence of networks using the same technology but
independently operated.

Therefore, I like the term "dissimilar and independently operated
devices and networks" - it seems to capture what we need to capture and
not more than that.  Consequently, I would propose we keep it in the
Scope and add it to the Purpose.

-- Need:  I have my own take on the need statement - I find both the
original text referring to an "overlay mechanism" and the reference to
"questions" in the NICT proposal lacking (in form, I think we are all in
agreement on substance :-) ).  I believe that what we are after here is
a set of mechanisms which define how the capabilities of the underlying
MAC/PHY standards are used in a coordinated fashion to achieve
coexistence and what other mechanisms may be needed.  Consequently, I
would propose something like the following text, which is close to the
original

modifications of their standards to comply with the regulatory rules for
accessing TV White Space.  Mechanisms that allow these revised standards
to coexist are needed.  The proposed standards specified how these
various coexistence mechanisms are to be used in a coordinated fashion
to improve coexistence.  It will also seek to allow coexistence with
other well established non IEEE 802 wireless standards. <<<<

--  Explanatory notes:  I would disagree with Stanislav and his
colleagues and would propose that these are very much needed.  I would
modify the existing text as follows:  Move the discussion on "Logical
Mechanisms" to the end (after Etiquette) and add to it a statement to
the effect that logical mechanisms include ways for properly exercising
functionality in place for coexistence, including ensuring fairness and
etiquette.

Look forward to the discussion on the call,

Alex