From: Andrew Myles (amyles) [mailto:amyles@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:40 PM
To: Shellhammer, Steve <sshellha@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-19@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Comments on Draft Liaison

G’day Steve

I strongly suggest that we keep the reference to “consensus”

The IEEE 802 emphasised at the 3GPP LAA Workshop that we follow a consensus process in the IEEE 802 when doing balloting. In particular, we accept comments from anyone and we resolve using a process that allows the commenter an opportunity to respond to the response. The 3GPP folk responded that they also follow a consensus process. This was a very important statement that was major part of the success of the workshop, particularly as IEEE 802 was accepted by 3GPP as  relevant stakeholder.

I also add that the concept of consensus is well known and understood in the standards community. It is very useful to use this concept in our liaison because it is so well understood. For your information the full definition of consensus follows:

General agreement, characterized by the absence of sustained opposition to substantial issues by any important part of the concerned interests and by a process that involves seeking to take into account the views of all parties concerned and to reconcile any conflicting arguments. Consensus need not imply unanimity

Andrew