[802.19] Important request related to LAA/Wi-Fi coexistence in the future

G’day all

In a recent liaison to IEEE 802, 3GPP RAN1 requested that 802.11 be modified to use an ED of -72dBm in the future (instead of ED=-62dBm, with PD =-82dBm). This was in response to an earlier IEEE 802 request that 3GPP RAN1 define LAA to use an ED lower than -72dBm. The earlier IEEE 802 request was made because IEEE 802 agreed there is strong evidence that LAA using an ED of -72dBm without PD does not allow fair coexistence between Wi-Fi and LAA.

The San Diego meeting of IEEE 802.19 WG considered many aspects of the 3GPP RAN1 liaison, and an IEEE 802 response (19-16-0109-08) was approved by the IEEE 802 EC last Friday. While the IEEE 802 response did continue the discussion of some issues related to ED thresholds (see comment 3 in the Appendix in 19-16-0109-08), the IEEE 802 did not respond to the specific request from 3GPP RAN1 for 802.11 to use an ED of -72dBm. This was because this request was considered by some to be important enough and complex enough to require discussion among a wider group of stakeholders than typically attend sessions on LAA/Wi-Fi coexistence in IEEE 802.19 WG. In particular, this request should be of interest to IEEE 802.11 TGax given their recent discussions related to associated topics.

While IEEE 802 did not respond to 3GPP RAN1’s request out of the San Diego meeting, IEEE 802 should probably respond sooner rather than later. I would suggest IEEE 802 aim for some sort of IEEE 802 response out of the wireless interim meeting in Warsaw in September 2016, even if that response says that IEEE 802 does not yet have a response. This will require discussion of the issues by both IEEE 802.19 WG and IEEE 802.11 TGax between now and the end of the Warsaw meeting.

I put together a presentation (19-16-0110-00) for discussion at the San Diego meeting in IEEE 802.19 WG that addresses many of the issues related to the topic of ED and PD thresholds. Unfortunately, there was not time for it to be presented or discussed in IEEE 802.19 WG. It is written in such a way that it can be mostly understood without formal presentation. In the interests of making timely progress on this issue,  I would ask all interested stakeholders to read the presentation and provide comments, either to me directly or via the IEEE 802.11 TGax and/or IEEE 802.19 WG e-mail reflectors.

Andrew

http://www.cisco.com/web/europe/images/email/signature/logo05.jpg

Andrew Myles
Manager, Enterprise Standards