Re: [802.19] URGENT: 802.19 vote on CAD doc19-19-0024-05

Thank  you Andrew for your comments,
I agree that collaboration is important in developing the best standards possible.  I heard similar remarks following the workshop, and it's a pattern I have noticed for quite some time, summed up with "coexistence is in the eyes of the beholder".  I don't think it was meant as critical, just an observation of fact.

To the relevant ballot, I iterate that the objectives we set forth for this effort have not been met, as thee current draft does not provide guidance on what is expected in developing a coexistence assessment.   As to the point of consequences, I heard repeatedly from several people, including the current (and past) 802.11 chairs, that 802 is a volunteer driven organization and if no one volunteers to do the coexistence assessment then it won't be done.  802 has developed a process to develop high quality, usable standards that have set benchmarks for several industries. A key part of that process is we set requirements that must be met before we let a draft be submitted to SA balloting and make it clear to all volunteers that these requirements must be met to move forward. While we leave much needed flexibility to the WGs as to how to meet the requirements, but also clear guidance and hard constraints in the 802 WG P&P, and the EC has to confirm via approval that the requirements have been met.   It is then no different than completing WG balloting, resolving comments, etc.

So the only way I have come up with to make it clear to volunteers that the CA process is necessary is to make it a required step.  I believe this was the intention when the process was established.  Many things have changed since those days, one being the importance of coexistence to the industries which 802 serves, as effective use of spectrum becomes ever more important.  The CA process can and should be a valuable part of our process.  By emphasizing the importance of coexistence performance as part of the whole 802 story, we take a leadership position in what is becoming increasingly important to success in the real world.

Respectfully
Ben