Re: [10GMMF] Agenda TP3 Meeting Tuesday 7th September

All -

Here are 2 thoughts that may be of interest for TP3.

1. For jitter, the current proposal is a single frequency well above the cutoff (supposedly in the 4 MHz range) above the tested CDR's tracking window. The single frequency has been proposed to be somewhere in the 40-80 MHz range.

My only real concern is that a frequency in this range does essentially nothing to ensure tracking of low frequencies. Recall that all outputs are to be tested with a 4 MHz high-pass jitter filter. This requirement runs throughout 802.3ae and XFI. This allows, and indeed was originally motivated by, outputs with significant low frequency jitter.

So, I propose another frequency that assures tracking. I propose 5 UI at 40 kHz. These values are per 802.3ae. I would support a note that suggests such a test could be done at the module or even IC level.

2. For RIN and modal noise, it is not completely clear to (at least) me, what the spectrum and probability density functions are, but we can expect they are not single frequency sinusoidal.

Single frequency sinusoidal has been proposed for its simplicity and history with 802.3ae. These are good reasons. Another fairly simple option to consider would be to replace the sinusoidal term with a PRBS pattern (rate and length TBD, if there is any interest). The PRBS pattern would have a wide(r) spectrum. Unfiltered, this would produce a bi-modal density function, much like the sinusoidal signal. Filtered, either at the low or high end can affect not only the spectrum, but also the density function. For example, filtering the upper end to 1/20 of its rate results a rather "normal" (but truncated) appearing pdf.

Is there any interest in pursuing this further?

Tom Lindsay
ClariPhy Communications
tlindsay@ieee.org