[802.3_NGBASET] IEEE 802.3 25GBASE-T Study Group draft IEEE P802.3bq 40GBASE-T PAR modification request

Dear IEEE 802.3 25GBASE-T Study Group participants,

One of the requirements of a PAR modification request is that item 8.1 'Additional Explanatory Notes' contain a brief explanation of why the PAR is being modified. The full help text for the items reads 'For a modified PAR, a brief explanation of why the PAR is being modified shall be included in 8.1. Include the Item # in front of each explanation to distinguish which PAR field it is referring to.'. Unfortunately this item is empty in the IEEE P802.3bq 40GBASE-T PAR modification request <http://www.ieee802.org/3/25GBASET/draft_P802.3bq_PAR_modification_0115.pdf>, something I have to apologise I didn't become aware of until after the meeting adjourned. Based on motion #4 of the IEEE 802.3 25GBASE-T Study Group January 2015 meeting which reads 'Move to adopt the modification to the PAR as written in draft_P802.3bq_PAR_modification_0115.pdf' (Y:30 N:0 A:1) I went ahead with the process to pre-submit the draft PAR modification request, but while the IEEE-SA myProject tool will !
 allow a draft to be saved with this item blank, it will not permit submittal until it has been completed.

After consultation with the IEEE 802.3 25GBASE-T Study Group Chair, I propose to place the following text in the 'Additional Explanatory Notes' field of the IEEE P802.3bq PAR modification request before I pre-submit it to the March 2015 IEEE 802 Executive Committee meeting (submittal deadline Friday 6th February 2015) and to the 25th March 2015 NesCom meeting (submittal deadline Friday 13th February 2015). Please note that the IEEE 802.3 25GBASE-T Study Group will have the opportunity to modify this text during its meeting during the March plenary week. In addition, as is the case with any pre-submittal, it is done on the understanding that [a] Any changes to the draft PAR text resulting from the Plenary will be promptly communicated to the NesCom Administrator, [b] Should the IEEE 802.3 Working Group not approve the submission, it will be removed from the IEEE 802 LMSC Executive Committee and NesCom agenda, should [c] Should the IEEE 802 LMSC Executive Committee not approve!
  the submission, it will be removed from the NesCom agenda.

Based on the above I am asking if there is any objection to this course of action, or if there are any modifications to the proposed text, that you send them to me prior to Wednesday 4th February 2015 at 23:59 AOE.

Best regards,
  David Law
  IEEE 802.3 Working Group Chair

-----

Additional Explanatory Notes (Item Number and Explanation): Item #2.1, item #5.2.b. and item #5.5: Since the IEEE P802.3bq 40GBASE-T PAR for a project supporting 40 Gb/s Ethernet operation over twisted-pair cabling was originally approved, 25 Gb/s has emerged as another speed of operation for Ethernet in the Data Centre, and hence there is a need to support 25 Gb/s Ethernet over twisted-pair cabling. Technical studies have shown that the technology in the 40GBASE-T draft specification currently under development could be easily adapted to support 25 Gb/s Ethernet operation over twisted-pair cabling (25GBASE-T), such as by reducing the signalling speed used. This PAR modification request adds 25Gb/s operation to the project scope (item #5.2.b). It also adds 25Gb/s operation and 25GBASE-T to the title (item #2.1), and updates the Need for the Project (item #5.5) to explain the need for both 25 Gb/s and 40 Gb/s operation over twisted-pair cabling.