Re: Ballot Group Confidentiality

Roger-

Right bark, wrong tree.

What we are speaking about here is the Sponsor Balloting Group. This is a
list that is owned by the IEEE and probably does not appear in a reflector.
On the other hand the electronic ballot process for Sponsor Ballot is
immature and who knows how it will turn out.

In the electronic Sponsor Ballot that was conducted for 802.3ab an e-mail
message was sent as notification of the opening of ballot. Each person who
was a member of the Sponsor Balloting Group was fingered in public. Their
e-mail address showed up in the "To:" field of the announcing message.

We should probably get that fixed.

Geoff

At 10:44 PM 4/12/99 -0500, Roger B. Marks wrote:
>Geoff wrote:
>>
>>I don't think I agree with Bob on this. I don't think that everything that
>>I do in life should subject me to having my contact information posted on
>>the equivalent of a telephone pole. There have been mailing list businesses
>>in business for quite awhile who sell people's names and addresses and I
>>don't feel particularly obligated to generate more fodder for them.
>

>Perhaps you guys realize this, but, in many cases, it's easy to get a list
>of reflector subscribers. If private_who=no, all you have to do is to ask.
>If private_who=yes, then you have to subscribe first.
>
>Many of my people prefer to keep their email addresses private. I would
>like to accommodate them. Therefore, I'd like to turn off "who" to everyone
>except the list owner. I've asked IEEE, but I received only the noncommital
>response below.
>
>Roger
>

>From: "IEEE Postoffice" <postoff@ieee.org>
>To: "Roger B. Marks" <r.b.marks@ieee.org>
>Subject: Re: request for modification of stds-802-16
>Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 17:12:01 -0400
>
>Good day,
>
>    Oh hand, with the current version of majordomo that we are running we
>may not be able to turn "who" off one way or another for just one list.
>However,  we are still researching.  If we are successful in finding a way,
>I will e-mail you and let you know.  We are also looking to upgrade our
>majordomo server to a later version that may support such things.  There is
>no time frame as of yet as we are still in the planning/testing stage.  If I
>may be of further assistance, please let me know.
>

>Thank you,
>
>IEEE Postmaster
>postoff@ieee.org

|=========================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
| 4401 Great America Parkway              |
| P. O. Box 58185                         |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
| Fax:   +1 408 988 5525                  |
| E-Mail: geoff_thompson@baynetworks.com  |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
 http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html