Re: Additional Chair Guidelines

Jim-

See my comments mixed in below:

At 09:25 AM 6/30/99 -0500, Jim Carlo wrote:

>The following are three proposed chair guidelines:
>Submissions to RevCom
>PAR Numbering for IEEE 802
>Privacy of Balloting Group
>

>Submissions to RevCom:
>
>Per IEEE 802 operating rules, the SEC has the responsibility to:
>3.1.j)Oversee formation of sponsor ballot groups and sponsor ballot process.
>
>Per IEEE Operating rules, The Sponsor shall submit the required number of
>copies of the entire proposed standard, together with all required
>documentation in accordance with the most current version of the IEEE-SA
>Standards Board Working Guide for Submittal of Proposed Standards to the
>Secretary of the IEEE-SA Standards Board at least 40 days before the IEEE-SA
>Standards Board meeting.
>
>Translating this into practice, I suggest the following.
>
>1) The Working Group Chair or designated reporter (the name of the person who
>signed the PAR form on file at the IEEE office), must sign the RevCom
submittal
>form. RevCom verifies that the signature of the submitter matches the
signature
>on the PAR form. The SEC chair can sign the submittal form in rare cases.

I support this.

>2) The SEC must approve the submission to RevCom by either EMAIL ballot or
>approval motion at the SEC meeting or conditional approval motion. Normally,
>what is needed for this approval motion is for the WG chair to show the
Sponsor
>Ballot Results, detail any no votes, and show the results of the ballot
>resolution group (and possibly WG) decision to submit to RevCom.

I have a little trouble here but you are saved by the word "normally".

>3) The sponsor chair of IEEE 802 LMSC (Jim Carlo) may remove an item from the
>RevCom agenda for good cause (I have an obligation to insure integrity in our
>process). In such cases, I will immediately inform the SEC and Working Group
>Chair.

In addition, the Sponsor has the ability to PLACE an item on the REVCOM
agenda where LMSC or the Working Group has exposed itself to Appeal for
Inaction. This is expected to be used only with the utmost discretion and
in exceedingly rare cases.

>4) All pre-submittals to RevCom before SEC approval, require me being
informed,
>so that I may initiate and insure action by SEC on the RevCom submission.
>

>PAR Numbering for 802
>
>1) Standard 802 provides the basic architecture for 802 standards. As such,
>there is no number or letter suffix. There is currently a revision PAR,
802Rev
>that is updating this standard.
>
>1.1 Notes:
>
>1.2) Examples
>1.2a) 802 - This is the IEEE 802 Standard: Overview and Architecture
>
>2) Working Groups will utilize PAR numbers as 802.nx where:
>n - the number assigned to the Working Group
>x - a lower case letter assigned to each supplement or corrigenda.
>
>2.1) Notes:
>2.1a) After x goes to z, the next PAR is 802.naa, 802.nab, etc.
>2.1b) In general, the base working group standard, 802.n eventually includes
>all supplements and corrigenda.
>2.1c) Revisions are numbered as 802.nRevm, where m is the revision update
>sequence number. In some cases, a Revision is started as a supplement, then
>becomes a revision, so the initial letter designation holds.

In the case of 802.3 all change actions/projects, that is supplements or
revisions, new material or maintenance shall have a unique suffix designation.

>2.2) Examples
>2.2a) 802.5v - This is a supplement to 802.5 Token Ring MAC standard.
>2.2b) 802.3ab - This is a supplement to 802.3 CSMA/CD MAC standard.
>2.2c) 802.5Rev2 - Second revision to 802.5 Token Ring Mac standard.

In the case of 802.3
	802.3aa - This is a revision to 802.3 CSMA/CD standard.
	802.3ab - This is a supplement to 802.3 CSMA/CD standard.

>3) In the case of 802.1, which is for higher layer protocols above the MAC,
>multiple separate standards and associated supplements are produced. There is
>no standard, 802.1. The method to identify whether a project is a
supplement or
>a standard is under study, as the lower/upper case designation has been
>confusing.
>
>3.1) Notes
>3.1a) In the past, a lower case letter was assigned to a supplement or
>corrigenda and an upper case letter was assigned to a standard. This small
and
>capital letter use is VERY confusing and a better method is under study since
>some computer type fonts do not distinguish between capitalization.
>
>3.2) Example:
>3.2a) 802.1D - MAC Bridge Standard
>3.2b) 802.1p - Supplement to 802.1D for Priority Control operation.
>
>3.3) The following are the separate standards within 802.1:
>802.1B - LAN/MAN Management
>802.1D - MAC Bridges
>802.1E - System Load Protocol
>802.1F - Common Definitions and Procedures for IEEE 802 Management
Information
>802.1G - Remote MAC Bridging
>802.1H - Recommended Practice for MAC Bridging on Ethernet Ver 2.0 in 802
LANS
>802.1Q - Virtual LANs
>
>4) In some cases, where the project will be a supplement of 802.1D or 802.1Q,
>but the project deals totally with a single MAC protocol, the project
number is
>802.nx, as defined in the relevant working group.
>
>4.1) Notes:
>
>4.2) Examples:
>4.2a) 802.5x - Supplement to 802.1Q for Token Ring MAC (802.5) VLANS.
>

>PRIVACY OF BALLOTING GROUP
>
>1) The list of contributors to a standard (to appear in the frontpiece)
within
>IEEE 802 WG should normally be included with the document during the Sponsor
>Ballot Period. This list will be used to determine which WG members and other
>experts will receive a copy of the standard when approved by the Standards
>Board.

Not current practice within 802.3 but I can live with it.

>2) The list of WG voters and their EMAIL addresses on a WG draft should be
made
>available during the WG ballots on the same secure site as the WG draft. This
>list shall not be used for any commercial purposes.

I don't think so. If anybody ha something to say they can say it to the
reflector

>3) The list of IEEE Sponsor Ballot group voters and their EMAIL addresses
on an
>IEEE Sponsor Ballot should be made available during the IEEE Sponsor
Ballot on
>the same secure site as the Sponsor Ballot draft. This list shall not be used
>for any commercial purposes.

This is the business of the IEEE not LMSC

>Jim Carlo(jcarlo@ti.com) Cellular:1-214-693-1776  Voice&FAX
Mail:1-214-853-5274
>TI Fellow, Networking Standards at Texas Instruments
>Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 Telecom and Info Exchange Between Systems
>Chair, IEEE 802 LAN MAN Standards Committee

Geoff
|=========================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
| 4401 Great America Parkway              |
| P. O. Box 58185                         |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
| Fax:   +1 408 988 5525                  |
| E-Mail: geoff_thompson@baynetworks.com  |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
 http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html