Re: Straw Poll for Millenium Medal

Bill,

I think you are totally correct.   I'll gladly co-sign any letter you
write.

Dave Carlson

----------
> From: Bill Lidinsky <lidinsky@hep.net>
> To: Paul Nikolich <p.nikolich@ieee.org>; jcarlo@ti.com
> Cc: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
> Subject: Re: Straw Poll for Millenium Medal
> Date: Tuesday, September 28, 1999 10:02 PM
>

> I just saw the email below from Paul Nikolich.  (One of the 1094
> messages currently in my inbox.)  This is awful.
>
>    +----------------------------------------------+
>    | THIS DOES A HUGE INJUSTICE TO MARIS GRAUBE!! |
>    +----------------------------------------------+
>
> We must all bear shame for this!  Shame, SHAME, *SHAME*!!
>
> Maris founded IEEE802 and was its chair for longer than any other
> chair.  He contributed greatly to early standards efforts.  He
> reorganized it to make it what it is today.  Not to detract from those
> identified below, I feel this decision is *AWFUL*.  NO, IT IS AWESOMELY
> AWFUL!
>
> In addition, echoing some of the comments made by others on this mailer,
> I feel strongly that we are patting ourselves on our backs.  This has
> been done for other medals in the past and we're doing it again.  I can
> personally say that I've seen members of 802 laugh at us for this.
> We're a joke!
>
> If this is the SEC's decision on the millennium medals, so be it.  It is
> our shame!   But Jim Carlo, please tell me to whom you have or will send
> this list.  I feel compelled to write an open letter to the IEEE,
> directed to that person stating my thoughts and reasons.
>
> 			Bill
>
> Paul Nikolich wrote:
> >
> > Dear SEC voting members:
> >
> > The four Millenium Medal candidates from IEEE 802 shall be:
> >
> > Jim Carlo, Howard Frazier, Don Loughry and Geoff Thompson.
> >
> > WIll the four nominees please fill out the applications (below in bold)
and send them to Jim Carlo and myself for submission to the Millenium Medal
committee.

> > Thanks,
> >
> > --Paul
> >
> > Millennium Medal IEEE-SA Criteria
> >
> > Context: At the beginning of the third millennium give recognition to
3000 individuals for their professional achievements worthy of recognition
for significant impact leading up to and including the new millennium.

> > Millennium medals are to be awarded to those individuals for their
outstanding contributions to the profession and to society in general. The
medals are to be awarded by Societies, Sections, and major boards of which
the IEEE-SA is one such entity. Each major board will recognize outstanding
individuals based on outstanding contributions to that board and its major
programs and activities. A recipient must be a member of the IEEE but does
not have to be a member of the IEEE-SASB or the IEEE-SA BoG. We should
identify and recognize individuals whose contributions helped to bring in
and support the new millennium.

> > Two categories of nominees will be considered:
> >
> > 1) Nominees recognized for their development of standard(s) having a
major impact on industry. This could be for a single standard or a family
of standards.

> > 2) Nominees recognized for their contributions to the development or
establishment of management infrastructure having significant impact on
industry now or in the next millennium. This could be for a new major
infrastructure or for major improvements and evolution of an existing
infrastructure.

> >           The following information is required to evaluate nominees
for a Millennium Medal:

> >           1) Name of candidate. A group of individuals might also be
considered.

> >           2) Category for consideration (i.e., standards development or
management infrastructure)

> >           3) Identification of the standard or management
infrastructure for which the individual should be recognized.

> >           4) The role the individual played in generating the standard
or infrastructure for which a medal is to be awarded. This should be a
brief, clear, and succinct statement no longer than a single paragraph in
length.

> >           5) A brief statement identifying the nature of the impact
expected to flow from the individual's efforts. This should be a clear and
succinct statement no longer than a single paragraph in length.

> >           This material should be sent to Dennis Bodson, Chairman
IEEE-SA ArCom, via email at d.bodson@ieee.org no later than September 1,
1999.