Re: Another rules change proposal

Bob-

One word change. I would recommend revision to read:

"Working Group members shall be encouraged to join the Computer Society and
Standards Association of the IEEE. Working Group members shall be informed
that IEEE-SA membership is required if they wish to particpate in a Sponsor
Ballot group. Working Group members shall participate in the consensus
process in a manner consistent with their professional expert opinion as
individuals, and not as organizational representatives."

The text probably needs to be further modified since the IEEE now allows
both individual and organizational balloting. Fortunately 802 has no
current plans to open any PARs under the latter.

Geoff

At 02:05 PM 10/6/99 -0700, Grow, Bob wrote:

>While reviewing the rules for the ballot, I came across one section that is
>obsolete, the third paragraph of 5.1.3.1.  It should probably be reviewed in
>the rules subcommittee meeting.  The paragraph need to be updated to reflect
>the current Sponsor Ballot participation rules.
>
>"Working Group members shall be encouraged to join the Computer Society of
>the IEEE.
>Although this is not a requirement for membership in the Working Group,
>members shall be
>informed that membership in the IEEE Computer Society or in the IEEE will be
>a requirement for
>their vote to count if they wish to participate in the Sponsor Ballot group.
>Working Group
>members shall participate in the consensus process in a manner consistent
>with their professional
>expert opinion as individuals, and not as organizational representatives."
>
>I would recommend revision to read:
>
>"Working Group members shall be encouraged to join the Computer Society and
>Standards Association of the IEEE.
>Working Group members shall be
>informed that IEEE-SA membership is beneficial if they wish to particpate in
>a Sponsor Ballot group.
>Working Group
>members shall participate in the consensus process in a manner consistent
>with their professional
>expert opinion as individuals, and not as organizational representatives."
>

>--Bob Grow

|=========================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
| 4401 Great America Parkway              |
| P. O. Box 58185                         |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
| Fax:   +1 408 988 5525                  |
| E-Mail: gthompso@nortelnetworks.com     |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
 http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html