RE: Bob Grow's proposed rewording of the ++PROPOSED RULE CHANGE LETTER BALLOT

An example of a non-technical, non-procedural vote would be the location of an
interim meeting.  It would be highly autocratic, and certainly against my sense
of appropriate procedure for the chair to decide unilaterally where the meeting
should be held.  I believe that we must account for this class of vote and
specify the rules under which the vote is to be taken.  That said, I am in
agreement with Bob Grow's comment that we must be careful to not hamstring the
Chair with the unnecessary burden of bringing all manner of procedural issues to
a vote.

By the way, it is interesting to see the level of subtlety implied in our rules.
I think the e-mail forum is an excellent one to allow for thoughtful discussion
over a reasonably long period of time to draw out the implications, and without
taking an undue amount of anyone's time.  Seeing the progression of this
discussion, and the benefits of conducting it over e-mail, I believe that we
should be giving consideration as to how to expand the set of topics that get
discussed electronically, so that we can decrease the discussion and time
required to address SEC issues at the plenary meetings.

Best regards.

Robert D. Love
Program Manager, IBM ACS - US
Chair IEEE 802.5 Token Ring Working Group
IBM
500 Park Offices                   Phone: 919 543-2746
P. O. Box 12195 CNPA/656           Fax: 419 715-0359
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA    E-Mail: rdlove@us.ibm.com

Tony Jeffree <tony@jeffree.co.uk> on 10/08/99 12:45:44 PM