RE: Actions from 802 Meeting

Buzz-

I would like to tune your wording a little further and hopefully seem a
little more gracious:
"Invited guests who do not pay a meeting fee are welcome to observe various
sessions of 802, however, as guests they may not vote in WG meetings during
that plenary and their attendance will not be counted toward building or
maintaining voting membership in any WG."

(Presumably we will neve be in the situation where we waive the fee for
someone who is an 802 Voter but is only coming to that meeting on the basis
of an Exec invite)

Geoff

At 02:43 PM 3/27/00 -0800, Rigsbee, Everett O wrote:

>Jim,  I'm a little uncomfortable with the wording in your item #3, but I
>see that it was similar before so I must have missed it last time it
>came around.  At any rate I will provide my comments:
>
>Your message proposed the following:
>
>3) Modify chair's guidelines on Registration Fees, Section 2.4:
>NEW: 2) Invited (by members of the SEC) guests who attend meetings for
specific value,
>provide tutorials should be exempt from the meeting fee. Unless they pay a
>meeting fee, they will not be counted as WG voters.  These individuals may
>participate in WG meetings. Note that observers are allowed to comment on WG
>documents and vote at the IEEE sponsor level if they meet requirements here.
>They should not count toward IPF fee. They should register to receive a
name badge.

>*	I don't care for the phrase "... for specific value, provide tutorials
..." because it sounds like the person is paying some special fee which is
not explained.  May I suggest the following alternative:  " ... for a
specific purpose that is of value to general attendees (e.g. to provide a
tutorial presentation) ..."

>*	I also unhappy that the next sentence does not quite say what we all
know that it means.  I would like to suggest the following alternative:
"Guests, who do not pay a meeting fee, may not vote in WG meetings during
that plenary and their attendance will not be counted toward building or
maintaining voting membership in any WG."

>There, now I'm happy.  We DO need to make sure that our guidelines are
precise and not open to misinterpretation.

>Thanx,  Buzz
>Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
>Boeing SSG
>PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM
>Seattle, WA  98124-2207
>ph: (425) 865-2443, fx: (425) 865-6721

Committees
>> who liaise to 802. These individuals (such as the chair of TR 40.8, the
chair of
>> JTC1/SC25, etc.) provide a strong value add to our work efforts by their
attendance.
>> Unless they pay a meeting fee, they will not be counted as WG voters.
These individuals
>> may participate in WG meetings. Note that observers are allowed to
comment on WG>
>> documents and vote at the IEEE sponsor level if they meet requirements
here. They
>> should not count toward IPF fee. They should register to receive a name
badge.
>> Jim Carlo(jcarlo@ti.com) Cellular:1-214-693-1776 Voice&Fax:1-214-853-5274
>> TI Fellow, Networking Standards at Texas Instruments
>> Chair, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6 Telecom and Info Exchange Between Systems
>> Chair, IEEE802 LAN/MAN Standards Committee

|=========================================|
| Geoffrey O. Thompson                    |
| Chair IEEE 802.3                        |
| Nortel Networks, Inc.  M/S SC5-02       |
| 4401 Great America Parkway              |
| P. O. Box 58185                         |
| Santa Clara, CA 95052-8185  USA         |
| Phone: +1 408 495 1339                  |
| Fax:   +1 408 495 5615                  |
| E-Mail: gthompso@nortelnetworks.com     |
| Please see the IEEE 802.3 web page at   |
  http://www.ieee802.org/3/index.html