RE: Message from the IEEE Standards Association

Gentlemen,
I too would like to fully endorse John Montague's position as well as the
valiant efforts being put fourth by Roger Marks.  The 802.14 Working Group is an
excellent example of how the value added by a public forum of professionals
intent upon the betterment of an industry can be squandered by a consortium or
parties intent upon protecting their own interest.  We have had to take solace
in the fact that most of the ideas and collaborative efforts that evolved from
the meetings and debates of competing solutions have help shape the solutions
now employed by consortium's chosen.

The ability to assemble industry experts in a forum of debate each driven to
achieve a common goal is a unique value added to our industry by LMSC Project
802.  Yes, we have to learn to be faster and yes we have to learn how to market
ourselves better, but the results that can be achieved are far more likely to
bear fruit.  Greater prosperity is had by all when we seek to enable rather than
to control.

Robert