Re: Rules Change Ballot; Addition of Scope Statement

>  Dear SEC,
>
>At the July 2000 plenary the 802 Sponsor Executive Committee (SEC)
>agreed to initiate a rules change ballot to add a scope statement to
>our operating rules.
>
>The scope statement:
>"The scope of IEEE LMSC is to develop, maintain, enable and promote,
>on a global basis, accredited networking standards and recommended
>practices" would be added as a separate paragraph to the end of
>section 1  Overview.

I vote No.

Reason 1: I believe that it is processes, rather than standards, that
are accredited.

Reason 2: This is too important to be buried at the end of Section 1.
It should be the first thing in the document. That is a little hard
to arrange given the way the Overview is structured, but it should be
nearer the top.

I would approve the change if it read:

The scope statement:
"The scope of the LAN MAN Standards Committee (LMSC) is to develop,
maintain, enable, and promote, on a global basis and using an open
and accredited process, networking standards and recommended
practices"
would be added as the third paragraph in Section 1 (Overview).

Roger