RE: FW: +++ BALLOT: Interim Meeting Agreement

Buzz:

Please don't put word into my mouth, you totally missed or misinterpreted my
fundamental concerns.  The conclusion you attribute to me (I'll let Geoff
speak for himself) while a good propaganda technique is totally wrong.

This now approved meeting is an experiment, it was originally to support all
working groups, and with the time pressures you introduced, 802.3 was "opted
out" of the 802 hosted interim without the opportunity to thoughtfully
evaluate the alternatives and implications.  The last position I saw was
that the 802.3 would have prefered to "opt in" on the interim meeting, since
date was more important than venue and the 802 hosted meeting was 802.3ae's
second choice while the Intel hosted alternative was its third choice.

If we had meeting dates fairly picked in a way representative of the
attendees (not just the majority of working groups), then I would expect the
opting in or out to be relatively fair.  This though fair, still creates a
logistical problem because of the disproportionate size of our working
groups.  802.3 opting in or out is much more of a problem for meeting
planning than for any other working group (especially for the room block).

802.3 has recently represented ~50% of plenary meeting attendance, and has
on its own been coping with the problems of its size in planning interim
meetings.  The other historical ~50% representing the wireless working
groups has been less comfortable coping with meeting planning for a group of
similar size.  I recognize that part of this results from economy of scale
(802.3 requiring less than a third as many rooms and projectors as the
wireless groups), but the size of 802.3ae meetings obviously creats a
different set of restrictions on 802.3's interim meeting locations.  It is
not yet clear what RPR and Ethernet in the First Mile will do to this almost
even balance between 802.3 and the rest of 802, but the percentages will not
likely change significantly.

This large imbalance makes me concerned about the financial risks resulting
from one WG opting out.  I also am not convinced that we have a method that
will fairly weight the preference for meeting dates.  As things are now
structured, I expect the larger WGs to be disproportionally forced to opt
out from a meeting because of non-optimal meeting dates.  This reinforces my
concerns about the financial risks to the 802 Treasury.

--Bob Grow