RE: IEEE 802 Meeting Attendance

Colleagues,  Since everybody seems to want to try and 2nd guess us on this, I will make
one more statement to all regarding the risks we may be running on this (see comments
to Jim & Roger below!), and try to dispel a few bad assumptions that I have seen go by:

I think the results WILL be meaningful if the message is communicated effectively that we
REALLY need to know as accurately as possible how many will be actually attending so
that we can provide adequate meeting spaces, hotel rooms, and food & beverage services.
You will, of course, need to indicate that they will be the ones who will suffer if they don't
respond in a timely fashion.  I would expect that the non-responders will be at least partially
offset by the late cancellers so that we should come pretty close if all they have to do is
send a reply (put yourself in the TO: or CC: field and the list in the BCC: field).

*	Pre-Registration data is not useful for this purpose since most folks don't do it until the last minute and many never bother at all.
*	Cancellations never come through until the very last minute so they are of no help either.
*	If we are holding rooms for attendees who do not materialize, there are stiff penalties!
*	If we don't hold rooms, there won't be any available.  Your choice !!!

This is TOO BIG a risk to just take a chance and hope for the best.  We need to know;
and we need to know NOW !!!  If we are unwilling to make a diligent effort here, then we
are surely responsible for the consequences of that lack of due diligence.

Thanx,  Buzz
Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee
Boeing SSG
PO Box 3707, M/S: 7M-FM