RE: Procedural Question

Mike,

I am not an expert on those matters, but I remember that the IEEE staff
specifically did not want us to make detailed minutes like: now John said
and then Jim answered. I have copied below what the Standards Companion has
to say about the minutes.

Taking this into account, I would say that it is NOT good to make a record
of the meeting with a Camcorder.

From part 3 of the Standards Companion:

Minutes should be taken at every meeting, preferably by a secretary, as
mentioned earlier. The list to the right states what minutes should include.
What minutes should not be is a detailed, blow-by-blow inclusion of every
speaker's words. Many minutes are far too detailed, and in so being they are
a deterrent to their usefulness to many readers (who simply won't want to be
bothered with trying to get through pages and pages of minutes). Minutes
should also include a separate list of action items as assigned by the
chair. The chair should use action items to make certain that the work is
delegated among various committee members, relieving the burden on only a
few members. Placing a time deadline on action items is also useful, as it
will help the working group members to prioritize this work.

	Minutes should be short--don't include every detail of your
meetings. After all, they're called minutes, not hours.
	What should be in minutes?
		Name of group
		Date and location of meeting
		Officer presiding, including the name of the secretary who
wrote the minutes
		Attendance
		Call to order, chair's remarks
		Approval of minutes of previous meeting
		Approval of agenda
		Technical topics
			a.
				Brief summary of discussion, pros and cons,
and conclusions
			b.
				Motions and actions items with name and due
date
			c.
				Copies of handouts
			d.
				Do not include names, except for movers and
seconders of motions unless a roll-call vote is ordered
		Subcommittee reports
		Next meeting--date and location

Regards
---------------
Vic Hayes
Agere Systems Nederland B.V., formerly Lucent Technologies
Zadelstede 1-10
3431 JZ  Nieuwegein, the Netherlands
Phone: +31 30 609 7528 (Time Zone UTC + 1)
FAX: +31 30 609 7556
e-mail: vichayes@agere.com
http://www.orinocowireless.com/

application/ms-tnef