Re: [802SEC] RE: 802.0 ReCirculation

Here's an interesting story regarding the significance of the material
in the front of a standard:

At the June standards board meeting, a document was up
for reaffirmation. The reaffirmation ballot had passed, with only
one dissenting ballot, which had been recirculated.  The dissenting
ballot disagreed with some text in the front matter of the standard.

One of the standards board (and RevCom) members who was very familiar
with the subject agreed with the dissenting balloter.  He was able
to persuade half of RevCom to go along with him in disapproval of
the reaffirmation.  The other half of RevCom voted against disapproval
on the grounds that a) the process had been followed and the ballot
group voted for approval and b) the front matter of the standard was
not subject to balloting.

The RevCom chair broke the tie by siding with those in favor of
disapproval, but the issue was so controversial that it was taken off
the consent agenda for the Standards Board, and put up for discussion.
The Standards Board split exactly 50-50, just like RevCom, and the
standards board chairman had to break the tie, also voting for disapproval.

Why am I bringing this up? To point out that things aren't as cut and
dried as we might like them to be, and that strange things can happen
when you have a controversial document.

In the case of 802.0 (and, I guess, all 802 standards from now on until
this mess settles out), a certain degree of paranoia is probably good for
your health.  Expected the unexpected.

Regarding the proposed text of the front matter, I think that the text
should be part of the recirc package.  I agree with Tony's points, but
I think that the ballot group has a right and a need to see the revised
front matter, and that if disapprovals are cast on the recirc as a
result of the revised front matter, then we will need to consider them
"in scope", and handle them accordingly.

Regarding Geoff's points, I agree with him that we are in terra incognita,
but I believe that RevCom and the Standards Board will allow changes and
a recirc of 802.0 at this point, and consider that the PAR is still open.
I believe that the Standards Board will allow the rules to be bent in
the interest of finding a solution that is agreeable to staff and the
balloting group.

Regarding abstentions, I think that the Standards Board finds mass
abstentions anathema.  I sure don't want to show up at the September
meeting with a case of massive abstentions.  802 would look really dumb.
(I wonder if my medical insurance covers massive abstentions?)

Howard