Re: [802SEC] Balloting Comments from IEEE 802

Jim-

I have some more comments to add.

First, I support the comments that have gone before, wholeheartedly.

Additionally, I have found over the years that improvement in the process
has not been monotonic. That changes that I have managed to have happen
once do not become part of the system and often the fight to have them
included in the system is starting from ground zero all over again.

In particular, I have repeatedly been told that the existing (Plus4 ??)
database is a major problem that gets in the way of improvement. Balloting
services needs to be on a database that is integrated with the other
systems that run in the SA Office AND whose modifications and applications
support is adequately funded and run from inside the Standards Department.

Comment handling is a recently arrived concept for balloting services. It
is only in the last very few years that they have risen above the concept
of just copying them and mailing them to the WG Chair. They operate under
the impression that counting votes is what is important. That is, in fact,
not the case in quality standards development. Quality standards
development is about review and effective revision based on the review.
Approval is a fall-out of this process rather than the primary activity.

The result of this is that there is a wildly diverse set of mechanisms for
comment handling across IEEE WGs

To support this balloting services needs to understand and be able to
service the needs of WGs in terms of feeding comments (votes to but they
are less of a problem) to WG Chairs on a real time basis in a format that
is suitable for direct absorption by whatever comment resolution database
is used by the WG.

Further, balloting reports should be available on an ongoing basis during
the balloting period without human intervention by balloting center staff.
Web or ftp query strongly preferred with a reasonable download format
(Excel or  pullable into Excel would be a good baseline) so that
hound-dogging by WG chairs is encouraged and supported.

It comes down to a very few things:
         Low and predictable delay at the front end
         Minimized processing required by BC staff
         Results that can easily be handled mechanically
         No human processing required of the results by BC staff

All of this seems to me to be within reasonable reach.

Geoff