Re: [802SEC] Fwd: My REVCOM comment form for 5 December 2001RevCom meeting

Geoff:

You've correctly noted that the title on the draft doesn't match that
on the PAR: the word "Standard" has been moved from the middle of the
title to the beginning. Let me explain.

The PAR title is:

>                         Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Part 16:
>Standard Air Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems

We began the ballot with Draft 4, with a title that exactly matched the PAR:

>IEEE Draft              Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Part 16:
>Standard Air Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems

However, our Editorial Coordination statement said: "For consistency
in all IEEE 802 Standards, the name of document should read as
follows:"

>Draft Standard for      Local and metropolitan area networks---Part 16:
>Standard Air Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems

Note the repetition of the word "Standard".

The title in Draft 5, as approved in the ballot, was:

>IEEE Draft Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Part 16:
>          Air Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems

This accommodates the staff request but avoids the repetition of the
word "Standard". Before I made this change, I considered the fact
that our Project Editor had done _exactly_ the same thing to our
previously-approved standard. It was balloted and approved as:

>IEEE Draft                    Local and Metropolitan Area Networks -
>Recommended Practice for Coexistence of Fixed Broadband Wireless
>Access Systems

to match the PAR, but it was published as:

>IEEE Recommended Practice for Local and metropolitan area networks
>                          Coexistence of Fixed Broadband Wireless
>Access Systems

In revising the title from Draft 4 to Draft 5, I was following this
precedent to the letter. Since staff had made this change following
approval, I reasoned that it must be an editorial change.

In retrospect, I'm sorry I didn't leave the title alone and let it be
corrected after approval. However, I hope that you will consider it
to be a minor issue and support approval in spite of the discrepancy.

Regards,

Roger