Re: [802SEC] +++ SEC EMAIL BALLOT +++ Release of 802 funds for Get802 program (closes Apr 16 2002)

I vote Disapprove, because I believe that:

(1) 802 has nothing to gain by contributing these funds.
(2) 802 has no obligation to contribute these funds.

In explanation of (2): the motion passed by the SEC in March 2001
said we would "Launch a 3 year pilot program" that would be "reviewed
yearly for viability". At the time, I asked whether this is a
three-year program or a one-year program. According to the minutes,
the SEC Chair said "Intent is to have a yearly review to make
adjustments if necessary, and to keep program in place for 3 years."

If the program terminates after one year (on 15 May), the picture
will change. We already contributed two sessions worth of escrowed
funds to start up the program. We also agreed to pay at the rate of
three sessions worth of payments per year. We have already made those
three additional payments (for March, July, and November 2001). Our
commitment for a one-year program has been met. Given that the
additional two sessions of escrowed funds were supposed to support a
three-year program rather than a one-year program, our obligations
have been more than met.

In March, we unanimously voted to withhold funds because the delay
period was going to be changed from 6 months to 12 months. However,
if the program is terminates in May, the delay will become infinity.
This is not an improvement over the plan we heard about in March.

According to the BoG motion, "the newly formed 802 Task Force shall
provide by 30 April 2002, a mutually agreed upon proposal for
proceeding with the program, to the BOG for their consideration." I
think we ought to table this motion until the end of the month so we
review the proposal.

Roger