Re: [802SEC] +++ SEC Rules Change Letter Ballot +++ Definingtimes for Opening and Closing SEC Meetings

I vote "Disapprove", with the following comments:

The proposed time of the Closing SEC Meeting is too late. The change
will extend the SEC member's responsibility by 18 hours each meeting;
due to travel limitations, this will, in effect, be a 24 hour
extension. This extra responsibility will seriously limit the pool of
potential SEC candidates.

Perhaps more importantly, the delay will limit the access of
observers to the SEC process. Regular 802 participants will find it
difficult to justify saying over another night to observe.
Furthermore, given that 802 Plenary Sessions are virtually always in
the US, non-US participants will have an extremely long trip if they
wish to attend the SEC as observers. The same is true of SEC members,
of course, which means that this change will strongly limit our
ability to expand our contingent of non-US SEC members.

The 802.16 Working Group has taken a strong stance on this issue,
approving unanimously in its Closing Plenary (24 May 2002) the
following motion: "To urge that SEC meetings be concluded by noon on
Friday of each 802 Plenary week in order to ensure that SEC meetings
remain open in practice as well as in theory."

I suggest that the rules change be modified to provide that the
Closing SEC Meeting be held from 8 am until noon on Friday. I see the
following advantages:

*SEC members and observers could go home on Friday afternoon.
*This schedule would reduce or eliminate the possibility of WGs
holding the closing meetings just before the SEC meeting. WGs would
have time to get their work in order.
*This schedule would accommodate WGs that need more time than is
allowed by the Thursday night SEC meeting. WGs could, if necessary,
hold their closing plenaries on Thursday night. For example, 802.16
has decided to do so in July.
*A Friday afternoon SEC meeting would provide only about four hours
more WG time than a Friday morning SEC meeting. Most of this could be
recovered on Thursday night, if groups aren't already putting that
time to use.
*Groups that need more time can and should adjust their starting
times appropriately. Sunday is available if necessary.
*Another possibility to which I am open is to move the SEC Opening
Meeting to Sunday night and scheduling the 802 Opening Plenary for
8-9 am Monday. This would let the WGs get started at 9 am Monday
morning. Other WGs, at their option, could still start later. This
earlier SEC start would entail an additional burden for SEC members.
However, for most, it doesn't entail any extra nights away from home.

Roger