Re: [802SEC] LMSC Rules Change Distribution and Ballot

Bill -

Thank you for your thoughts. I agree with your point 5, and I don't have a problem with your observation that there are two distinct styles of operation in 802.

Speaking for 802.1, we have developed a style of operation over the years which works for us, and I believe the proposed change will be unhelpful to that style of operation, and will cause additional problems as discussed below. Clearly, for groups that operate differently, their view may differ.

You mention asymmetry in the existing rule with regard to acquiring and retaining working group membership. I would observe that, while the proposed change tackles one form of asymmetry, making it possible to lose membership roughly as fast as you can gain it, it also creates a different asymmetry, due to the fact that "joining" credit can still date back 4 meetings, which will lead to some curious results that will likely confuse/annoy people. A simple example: Ignoring interim meetings altogether for the moment, consider someone that shows up for two plenaries, misses the third, shows up at the fourth. By the rule for acquiring membership, they are a voting member for the duration of that fourth plenary meeting; however, the rule for losing membership kicks in at the end of that meeting, and they lose their vote for a plenary meeting cycle. I don't think that makes any kind of sense - and I'm sure it would not make any more sense to the person affected.

Although it meets its stated goal of ageing out voters more rapidly (modulo the curious effect above), the proposed rule is significantly more "trigger happy" than the current rule. I've played around with a simple spreadsheet to model how it behaves - even at the level where an attendee misses just 1 in 10 meetings on average, if those misses are randomly spaced, the proposed rule will occasionally deny membership for a meeting cycle, on occasions when two adjacent meetings or consecutive plenaries are missed. With an average attendance rate of 2 out of 3 meetings on a continuous basis, the attendee can look forward to losing voting rights for a meeting cycle or two fairly frequently, despite, on the face of it being a regular attendee.

Conclusion: Whatever merits we might or might not see in making it easier to gain a quorum at an interim meeting, this particular solution will likely trade one problem (difficulty in gaining a quorum) for another (much confusion and argument about why active, upstanding, regularly attending WG members keep getting disenfranchised for no terribly good reason). The likely fallout will be that Chairs will continually have to exercise their discretion over voting rights in order to placate aggrieved members.

A couple of further thoughts:

- Given different styles of operation, why the assumption that there should be a "one size fits all" membership rule? It seems to me that the best interests of all concerned might well be met by defining two alternative rules & leaving it to the membership of each WG to decide which rule they wish to apply.

- One of my WG members made the following observations which seem pertinent: "It seems to me that this is a rather drastic approach to aging out voting rights.  Given the current economic conditions some companies may not be able to afford to send the same representative to each meeting.  A rule like this would make retaining voting rights substantially more of a burden on participating companies and individuals.  I would propose a compromise of "...two of the last three..." Plenary meetings.  That would help alleviate some of the financial burden and allow for "personal" reasons that a member may not be able to attend while still speeding up the age out process.  It seems reasonable to me that a person could have a three month window in which they would be unable to attend a plenary or interim meeting in that time frame (maternity leave comes to mind)."  The alternative 2 out of 3 rule that he proposes isn't nearly as trigger happy as the 2 out of 2 rule, and offers some improvement in the speed of ageing out.

Regards,
Tony