RE: [802SEC] Proposed Alternative to changing the rules for WGme mbership

I didn't take the time to analyze how many people are casual observers
exactly per Pat's definition, but I looked at something similar.  The part
of Mike's proposal I disagree with most is an observer automatically
becoming a member.   A quick review of 802.3 minutes indicates that on the
average less than 30% of those qualified to become a member at an 802.3
plenary meeting actually make the request to become a voting member.

From this I would strongly object to both requiring a WG to automatically
grant membership when attendance is met, and elimination of the eligibility
rule delaying the granting of voting privilege until the next meeting.  The
802.3 data follows (per 802 and 802.3 rules, a potential voter could remain
on the list for multiple meetings:

7/02   35 of 106
3/02   41 of 130
11/01  27 of 137
7/01   46 of 154
3/01   37 of 109
Total 186 of 636 requested to become voting members.

--Bob Grow