Re: [802SEC] Proposed 802 survey form

Roger,

Comments inserted.

Thanks,

wlq

"Roger B. Marks" wrote:

> At 8:30 AM -0800 02/11/08, Bill Quackenbush wrote:
> >Roger,
> >
> >WOW, that is much more support for the survey than I expected.  Thanks.
> >
> >While doing the survey on the web offers solutions to a bunch of
> >problems, there are some issues.
> >
> >       1)  I did receiver some comments on the survey that were not broadcast
> >to the 802 SEC alias.  These comments led to some minor changes in some
> >of the questions and the addition of another question.  Unfortunately I
> >did not have change tracking turned on when I made the changes.  The
> >updated survey is attached.
>
> No problem; Word can compare documents. I've updated the on-line
> version. I've made one change, which I can alter if you like. Namely,
> I extended "We need to have the following equipment provided" by
> adding "and the cost included in the meeting registration fee." This
> parallels your language on the food service.

Please remove this change.  While food and beverage (F&B) will always
have to be supplied locally, 802 already provides the LCD projectors,
the printer and the networking equipment and we may being providing
additional items in the future.  It is true that the cost of 802
supplied equipment must be covered at some point by registration fees,
but the cost per meeting is relatively low.  The phrase  "and the cost
included in the meeting registration fee." was included in the F&B
question because F&B is the largest single meeting expense and we wanted
to gently remind folks that every F&B service provided adds directly to
the registration fee.

> >       2)  I would like to record each responder's answers as a row (or
> >column) in an Excel spread sheet.  That way correlations between
> >responders can be investigated if we want/need to.  Just keeping
> >counters of how may responders give a particular answer looses that
> >information.
>
> I'll have this data and can easily generate the report you want.

Great, we can work the details later.

> >       3)  Whether to place a link to the survey in a more obvious place,
> >perhaps the "IEEE 802 Plenary/interim meeting information" page
> >(http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/meeting/index.html)
>
> Fine by me. I thought you wanted to limit the survey to those in
> Kauai. I was thinking of putting it on the Dot16 server there, for
> local access only. However, I also added "not attending" as a
> response to (1), in case we want a wider audience (though a less
> defined one).

This addition is fine.

> If you put the survey on the Internet, my suggestion is to leave it
> unadvertised, except in Kauai, so that you have a well-defined survey
> group. Maybe afterwards you could use it for remote responders in a
> separate data set.

I am looking for guidance here.  My comment 3 was intended to be an idea
for discussion, not a decision.  My though here was to provide a way to
find the survey even if I forgot the .16 link.

> >       4)  Will we get a comparable response rate using the web versus passing
> >out paper surveys in a meeting?  I certainly don't know the answer to
> >this, but it concerns me.
>
> I don't know. I don't mind having paper forms in the registration
> area, but I'd rather not introduce the disruption inside our meetings.

Subject to comment by others, my inclination is to do either a paper
survey or a web survey, not both.