[802SEC] Ballot periods

Colleagues:

This is to inform you that I intend to propose a rules change to enforce minimum ballot periods for our Sponsor ballots.  I also intend to raise the issue of ballot periods to ProCom for all SA ballots.  It is now clear to me that the ballot center does not enforce any particular ballot period.  (I also can't find any rules/P&P that requires them to enforce any arbitrary minimum.)  I believe the ballot center operates to a default -- the ballot being open for some period of time on 10 dates in the US eastern time zone (probably restricted by the announcement being sent during their working hours).  In an exchange trying to determine how the ballot center counted "days", I postulate what I thought was a theoretical question asking if the period would be have to be 10 days (i.e., 10 * 24 hours) or only 10 calendar dates.  At the time the question was posed, I thought the ballot center was enforcing a minimum ballot period  what I got in response was an offer for a SB recirculation period a day shorter (i.e., 8.xxx days).

I just received a particularly onerous example of what is being allowed by the ballot center.  I received the announcement slightly before noon Pacific Time.  The ballot closes on February 2 at 11:59 pm EST.

So, for me, I have 9.375 days to respond (and four of those days are on a weekend).  For many international participants, they realistically will have much less time with this ballot (many won't see the announcement until their Monday morning).  If one or two of you would like to review my proposed rules change text prior to distribution to the SEC I would appreciate a response.

Bob Grow
Chair, IEEE 802.3 Working Group
bob.grow@ieee.org