FW: [802SEC] Ballot periods

Geoff,

When you said "Our P&P have screwed up because they narrowed the
scope of a letter ballot" [so as not to apply to Sponsor Ballot], I
wondered if you meant that we screwed up last year when we changed
the language regarding WG Letter Ballots, including the duration. To
check, I looked up the prior rules, and the situation was identical:
no reference to Sponsor Ballot rules or durations.

I don't have any older rules, but I'll bet a steak dinner that the
LMSC rules have never specified Sponsor Ballot durations since I've
been coming to 802 meetings (i.e., since November 1998).

Roger

At 11:13 AM -0800 03/02/05, Geoff Thompson wrote:
>Roger-
>
>My profound apologies. In my zeal to protect the process I was
>paying insufficient attention to courtesy.
>
>More appropriately...
>	1) It isn't the Balloting's job to determine balloting
>periods, it is clearly ours.
>	2) I don't trust their judgement with respect to the defaults
>they may throw at us on whatever basis they decide (unless they
>quote chapter and verse of their P&P that over ride ours).
>
>RE your statement:
>
>>Under the status quo, I do not agree that we are in danger of
>>ballots being overturned on appeal for following the Balloting
>>Center defaults (29-30 days for a ballot and 9-10 for a recirc).
>>Those defaults are in accordance with LMSC and IEEE-SA rules.
>>
>Our rules currently say: "...for recirculation ballots, ..., the
>response time shall be at least fifteen days."
>
>Our P&P have screwed up because they narrowed the scope of a letter
>ballot to be that of a "Working Group Letter Ballot" instead of
>having a procedure for "letter ballots" and then requiring Working
>Groups (among others) to use it.
>
>Clearly the scope of LMSC is both Sponsor and Working Group Ballots
>(ever since we became "self-sponsored" and broke away from TCCC
>years ago). This shows up in our P&P in clause 1 paragraph 3
>

>The P802 Sponsor Executive Committee serves as the Executive
>Committee for both the sponsor ballot groups as well as the
>Standards Development Groups.  The standards sponsoring organization
>is designated as the LAN MAN Standards Committee (LMSC) and includes
>the Sponsor Executive Committee, a balloting pool for forming LMSC
>Sponsor balloting groups, and a set of Standards Development Groups.
>
>AND
>

>3.1	Function
>  The function of the Executive Committee is to oversee the operation
>of the LAN MAN Standards Committee in the following ways:
>
>j)	Oversee formation of sponsor ballot groups and sponsor ballot
process.

>AND
>

>Clause 4
>  The LMSC Sponsor Ballots will be administered by the Executive
>Committee in accordance with Section 5 of the IEEE Standards Manual
>and Procedure 7 of these rules.
>
>There is, of course, no such thing as "the IEEE Standards Manual"
anymore.
>The last one was published in 1992 (paper only).
>I do happen to have one, I could bring it to DFW.
>
>The IEEE Standards Manual clearly says its our job, not that of
>Balloting. The IEEE Standards Manual does not mention balloting
>periods except for something about 60 days for mandatory
>coordination.
>
>It says, in part, (5.2) "The Sponsor is responsible for supervising
>the standards project from inception to completion."
>
>In sum, since:
>

>1) It is our responsibility
>  2) We don't explicitly call out the periods for Sponsor Letter
Ballots