From: Hypes Ann <ann.hypes@siemens.com>
To: "'stds-802-sec@ieee.org'" <stds-802-sec@ieee.org>
Subject: FW: Quality in Voting
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:34:17 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Hypes Ann
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 4:32 PM
To: 'jtcarlo@worldnet.att.net'; 'Stephen.berger@ieee.org';
'd.heirman@ieee.org'; 'hans.von.spakovsky@usdoj.gov'
Subject: Quality in Voting

I would like to participate in developing "standards" in the voting
PROCESS.  My interest in not in developing standards with equipment, but
in the process from start prior to opening the polls to reporting
results AND voter education.

 I did not know which of you to contact, please help me to locate the
proper person.

'Be the Vote' is the phrase behind my vision for the American Citizen.
I know that every eligible American Voter should;
'Be the Vote' that counts,
'Be the Vote' that elects the person to represent themselves,
and 'Be the Vote' that makes the difference in the quality of life.

  <http://bethevote.com/> http://bethevote.com/ is my website link.

I  have visualized  the use of quality audits in the election process
since the 2000 presidential election.
I have performed quality audits in a professional manner for several
years in several industries.

Performing a quality audit at voting sites is new and has never been
performed. There is skepticism about a quality audit adding value to the
voting process.
I will be focused on performing audits of some Virginia voting sites in
June 2003,  so that value can be shown through my analysis of the
results.

I have communicated to Representatives and the VA State Board of
Elections (SBE) about my idea and my interest of improving the voting
process.  They were both encouraging and supportive, which made me more
determined to promote this idea.

There has been a lot of attention given to updating equipment and
training poll workers.  I have seen this in the many articles about what
can be done to improve the voting system.
('System' is used to describe a piece of equipment, not the whole voting
process.)
Updating equipment and training can be meaningless, if the data
collected does not show results of these improvements.  There are voting
process issues which have not been addressed.  I can show  where these
weaknesses are, with actual audit data.  All weaknesses can be improved
which in turn will improve the whole process.

The attached files illustrates;
1) my quality surveys to the voter and to the voting site which will
lead to a "checklist" of questions asked during an audit.
2) I will not include the audit checklist until you agree to register my
work.
I and my colleges are professional auditors and will perform these
audits in a professional manner.
We will report results to all that request one, including the VA SBE.
I am using this information to verify that my audit is consistent with
the goals for reducing process variables and increasing voter
satisfaction.
In these audits, there will be no interference with the voters, or
workers and no discussion of the political issues.

3) The Voter Survey will measure customer satisfaction of the voting
process.  This survey results and paper will be discussed in ASQ's
(American Society for Quality) May publication. This survey can be
viewed by pressing on the link http://bethevote.com/pages/webenque.html
<http://bethevote.com/pages/webenque.html>

Thanks for your time,
Please let me know how I can participate.
Best Regards,
Ann Hypes,
(757) 875-7446 work
(804) 693-7746 home