Re: [802SEC] +++SEC MOTION+++802 Plenary network expenditures

Geoff,

Unless I misunderstand RRoO, a motion that is divided must be divided
into two or more motions, each such motion containing one or more of the
proposals in the original motion.  As I read my motion, the component
proposals are

	1) That the budget for the network at a LMSC Plenary session be
increased  from $25k to $30k.

	2) That the actual expenditure for the network at a LMSC Plenary
session shall not be greater $33k.

	3) That the LMSC is authorized to enter into a multi-session contract
contract for the configuration, operation and management of said
network subject to the above budget and expenditure limits.

As I read your motion, it does not clearly correspond to a regrouping of
these three items.  So I think you need to clarify your motion or
perhaps change it to a motion to amend.

I would also like to offer the following thoughts.

First, the incremental cost of 4xT1 over 1xT1 is roughly $2.5k ($7.5k vs
$5k). Under some relatively simple assumptions about plenary session attendees,

	average salary of $100k with 50% overhead,
	$500 average transportation expense to attend a session,
	1 day of travel,
	4 days of attendance,
	$50/day for food,
	average hotel room price of $150/night and
	$300 registration fee,

the cost for an individual to attend a session is AT LEAST $4400.  With
plenary session attendance at over 1000, the incremental cost of 4xT1
roughly $2.50 per attendee.  Spending an additional $2.50 to give each
attendee an opportunity to be more effective seems quite reasonable.
And yes, some will use the greater access to the net to waste time.  But
folks have been wasting time in meetings with solitaire and other
diversions for years.

Second, the administrative problems of deciding, defending, continuously
adjusting who gets access to the wed and which web sites are accessible
will be a nightmare and, in my opinion, will not be worth the $2500 that
we might save with just a T1 line.

Thanks,

wlq