Re: [802SEC] Efficient Organization of SEC Business

We will continue to be faced with this problem as long as
we rely exclusively on the services of volunteers,
who have full time paying jobs that take priority over
their duties as members of the SEC.

Note that the IEEE-SA BoG and StB operate much differently.
Most of the leg work is performed by paid staff. The volunteers
contribute their insights and direction, and then review the
work done by the staff.  In contrast to the inefficient and
arduous method that the SEC uses to modify its P&P, the BoG
and the StB are generally able propose, formulate, resolve,
and reach closure on changes to their Operations Manual and
Bylaws in a timely, efficient and deterministic fashion.

I think that it is time for the SEC to consider retaining
paid staff support, specifically to assist with the task
of formulating and resolving changes to our P&P.
It might also be useful to have this person maintain the
project status summary.

I have asked Karen Rupp of the IEEE-SA staff to formulate
a proposal to provide this service. I expect that we will
be able to discuss this proposal at the July meeting, in
the context of the Education, Mentoring and Support program.

Howard Frazier