From: David V James [mailto:dvj@alum.mit.edu]
Sent: 06 October 2003 06:26
To: CONGDON,PAUL (HP-Roseville,ex1); 'Geoff Thompson'; Mike Moreton
Cc: Tony Jeffree; Johnston, Dj; David Halasz; stds-802-11@ieee.org; IEEE
802.1; stds-rac@ieee.org; stds-802-sec@ieee.org;
millardo@dominetsystems.com
Subject: RE: [802.1] TGi use of OUI 00-00-00

Paul,

There are sort-of two questions here, I think.

1) Can an organization/standard get an OUI?
   Yes. One should be sufficient for all of 802.
   I know the MSC has one, I suspect that 802
   already has one.

2) Is a single OUI sufficient to identify the
   format and function of organizationally-specific data?
   (if this happens to be applicable).
   No. An EUI-48 or EUI-64 serves this need.
   See extact below.

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/tutorials/UseOfEUI.html
The 24-bit OUI/company_id value is intended to identify the
organization that administers the remaining bits in
EUI-48 and EUI-64 values. The OUI/company_id value should not
be used (in isolation) to identify a vendor or the format
of vendor-dependent information. When necessary to identify
the vendor of a hardware device, an EUI-48 identifier
should be used. This allows large organizations to assign
distinct EUI-48 identifiers, so that each division can be
identified as a distinct "vendor". Alternatively, small groups
within an SDO (standards development organization) could be
identified by distinct EUI-48 identifiers administered by
their sponsoring body.

DVJ
IEEE/RAC member

David V. James
3180 South Ct
Palo Alto, CA 94306
Home: +1.650.494.0926
      +1.650.856.9801
Cell: +1.650.954.6906
Fax:  +1.360.242.5508
Base: dvj@alum.mit.edu

IEEE
>> 802.1; stds-rac@ieee.org; stds-802-sec@ieee.org;
>> millardo@dominetsystems.com
>> Subject: RE: [802.1] TGi use of OUI 00-00-00
>>

>> Throughout this discussion, there has been suggestion of allocating a
>> 'no-vendor' OUI?  Why is this necessary?  Why doesn't OUI imply
>> 'Organizational Unique Identifier' such as 802.11 or 802.1 or 802.3?
Why