From: Roger B. Marks [mailto:r.b.marks@ieee.org]
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 4:51 PM
To: stds-802-sec@ieee.org
Subject: RE: [802SEC] request for your views on attendance credit

Dear EC,

I appreciate your comments regarding the attendance credit issue on which I sought your advice earlier this month.

I'd like to clarify an issue that arose during the discussion. Namely, Mr. Klerer said that "as you know, the issue of dual sign-in to 802.16 and 802.20 was raised at the March meeting." I am not familiar with this issue being "raised". I was informed by Mr. Nikolich that all WGs had been asked to provide such information, not because of specific concerns of dual sign-in to 802.16 and 802.20 but as part of a broad statistical study of dual sign-ins across all WGs.

Mr. Klerer also stated that "several 802.16 participants... received participation credits for both the 802.20 and 802.16 sessions." I have studied the minutes of both groups and identified three people in this category. All were novices in 802.16: none was a member, and none had ever before attended an 802.16 session at an 802 plenary. It's certainly possible that none was aware that their action might be considered inappropriate. They were from three different companies and three different continents, so it does not appear as if this was some kind of coordinated action.

I have not previously tracked 802.16 participants seeking to determine their participation in other WGs. Without looking at the full data set, it's hard to say whether these three dual credits are significantly above the norm for a typical 802 plenary.

I do think that we should establish a rule to address the issue of participation credits at simultaneous Working Group sessions. However, since the WGs have different attendance procedures (e.g., some signing in once a day and some two or three times day), such a rule could be a little tricky.

Regards,

Roger