Re: [802SEC] +++ EC P&P Revision Ballot +++ compliance with SA Model P&P

Hi Everyone,

Well I really had planned to have an updated version of my P&P revision for tonight, but I don't yet.  I will have one by Sunday night but many of you may not see it till then.  So I wanted to at least respond to Bill's notes and describe the changes I am making in response.

First I once again want to thank Bill for the detailed reading and effort he put into this.  It was not a small job.  I will very much miss him when he retires from the EC.

In my mind there are two key comments Bill has made:

        1) Some of text incorporated from the model sponsor P&P is more than editorial.
        2) There is no requirement to change to the SA model format so why are we doing it?

After a couple hours of discussion with Bill, I now agree with him on the first point.  However, the fact that some of the text does not conform with our existing P&P suggests that our P&P may be out of sync with SA requirements.  So what I plan to do for Sunday night is present the text in questions in brackets, discuss the possible conflicts it introduces, and then if the rest of the EC feels they are in conflict I will remove the text for this go around, and address it for the next ballot.

As for Bill's second comment, I've had a lot of dialog with Bill, Mary Lynn Neilsen (SA), and Bob Pritchard (AUDCOM).  I've also corresponded a little with Jim Moore (CS/SAB). The purpose was to try and see if there are any valid reasons for reformating our P&P around the sponsor model.  I think Bill now agrees with me that there are, but for the benefit of everyone else I will now outline the justification for this effort:

1)  CS SAB has a new P&P currently being balloted.  In that document (Section 5.5 titled Sponsor P&P) you will find the following:
                "Each Sponsor shall have and shall adhere to a set of P&P's based upon the IEEE SA Model Operating Procedures for Sponsors for Standards Development."

2)  The Model Sponsor P&P itself is more than a recommendation.  While the text in the various sections provided is optional, the SECTION HEADINGS / organization are not!  At the top of the current Sponsor Model P&P (Dated 10/10/03) you will find the following note:

                "... your Sponsor procedures must address each of the items below in bold-face type with text that is consistent with the IEEE-SA governance documents (IEEE-SA Standards Board Bylaws and Operations Manual)"

3)  Even though the current CS/SAB P&P being balloted says they will review our P&P, I have confirmed with all parties that the CS/SAB no longer plans to audit our P&P.  AUDCOM will now be performing that role.  The model sponsor P&P comes from AUDCOM and is intended to accomplish two things:

        a) Make sure all the key requirements of SA are addressed in sponsor P&P
                For instance we did not have section on appeals until very recently even though it has always been an SA requirement to have such a section.  If we had looked at the Model P&P and organized our P&P accordingly, the absence of this section would have been apparent.
        b) Make it easier to review the many P&P AUDCOM has to look at.
                Let's face it - Reviewing P&P is not the most exciting job in the world.  It becomes much simpler if all the documents follow a standard format so you can easily compare and contrast sections.  It has also been suggested that SA intends to make AUDCOM reviews more rigorous in the near future.  So we want to keep these guys happy, and make their job easier.  Otherwise they can make things difficult for us.

Anyway, I hope that explains to folks why this P&P revision is necessary.

See Everyone in Portland.

I'll send out an updated draft as soon as I have one.

Mat

Matthew Sherman, PhD
Senior Member Technical Staff
BAE SYSTEMS, CNIR