From: Grow, Bob [mailto:bob.grow@intel.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 10:57 AM
To: Rigsbee, Everett O; 802 Michael Takefman; 802 Tony Jeffree
Cc: 802 Exec; 802 @F2F Dawn S; Darcel Moro @F2F; 802 @F2F Jennifer Hull
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Nov 2004 802 Meeting - Network Configuration
Follow-up Questions

By usable, I primarily meant that when people need to use the network in
support of committee business, it is available.  No network until
Wednesday is not acceptable, nor is competing with the hotel access
points by cranking up AP power levels, nor is ignoring reports of AP
outages, etc.

Required:
2. full VPN support
--without this too many don't have email access
4. local DHCP for IP Address generation and unlimited connections
--limit of # attendees acceptable

Important:
5. traffic limiters and removal tools to cope with abusers --Keeps the
bandwidth available for legitimate uses

Nice but we can live without:
1. virus and intrusion protection
--Prudent people should have this on their own machines, but yes all
suffer if someone hogs the bandwidth 3. network accessible print
services --A parallel port printer is required if this is not provided
6. pop-up ad blocking and filtering --Saves bandwidth, the sites we want
to support access to though do not generate pop-ups (e.g.,
standards.ieee.org) 7. etc.