[802SEC] Network Update and Incident Reports

Dear EC members,

Attached you will find the summary report from IDEAL on the network from the
July plenary session.  Also included is the incident report which details
why the Internet connectivity throughput was below acceptable levels on
Monday and Tuesday.  (Bob O'Hara please include these in the closing EC
minutes under the Network Status Update agenda item towards the end of the
agenda.)

While reviewing these reports remember, IDEAL was not responsible for the
Internet Service Provider's throughput, the ISP vendor was.  The ISP for the
July meeting was Winfield Wireless.  Winfield Wireless acknowledged and
described the problems they were had in providing adequate throughput at the
closing EC meeting.  I am requesting a formal report from them similar to
the ones attached.  802 did receive a rebate on the ISP service charges as a
result of the problem, but this is small consolation for the poor
performance.  We simply need guaranteed good performance to get our work
done.

Buzz and I are working to make sure we do not have repeat of these types of
problems in November.  Part of reason we have had network service level
problems and the time it takes to resolve them result from the fact the 'in
house' network service provider (IDEAL) and the ISP are two different
organizations.  To eliminate these types of issues in the future I believe
we should have a single network service Vendor--not two.  To that end Buzz
and I have asked IDEAL to prepare a service contract and quote on providing
the ISP service as well as the in house network service.  This will include
a precise definition of service levels.  We will share that information with
you as soon as that is available.

I apologize for the poor network service in July--it is ultimately my
responsibility.  I will do all I can to ensure it does not happen again.

Regards,

--Paul Nikolich

Network_Overview_july_2004_Final_Report_v5.pdf

Incident_Report_Portland_July_14_2004_Final_Report.pdf