Re: [802SEC] Socials

Folks,

My intent was in fact to change the purpose from a Social to a Meet and
Greet.  We are no longer 600-800, we are 1600 strong.  I'm don't think
the social really plays the role it once did.  In fact, I know many
people who intentionally skip it.  There are many ways to take a break.
I'd say move the tutorial to the middle of the week and make sure we
don't schedule work during that time.  Then people still get a break,
and we have more room for tutorials.

The bottom line is that some groups seem to have problems cramming it
all into one week.  The bigger we get, the more activities there are,
and the more difficult to get all the actual work done.  What I am
proposing is to move the less critical functions outside of the weekly
boundaries.  To me, this includes the function of the plenary meeting,
and the social.

In addition I'm trying to move the EC functions from Monday to Sunday.
Frankly they aren't attended by many.  We make the effort to fly in
early already.  I think those who are truly interested will as well.
Otherwise, I think some WG may start running on the weekend anyway since
they are running out of time during the week.

So what I'm trying to do is move some less critical functions (such as
comment resolution on P&P ballots) outside the Plenary week altogether.
This then leaves room to move other functions to Sunday.  If I were to
make the line up, I'd say run the opening EC meeting from 2 to 4 PM.
Have a 1 hour opening plenary from 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM.  Have the meet
and greet.  I'd couple it with a short tutorial about 802 afterward for
those who haven't been to an 802 meeting before which explains basics
about work flow and attendance and such.  I would move the architecture
meeting to be during the week, and a normal part of 802.1 activities.

So that's my suggestions.  I know the meet and greet would be less well
attended, but hey that saves us money to.  I think it's main purpose
should be as an introduction for new comers, so I don't see it not being
well attended as a problem.  The key is to activity encourage new
comings to fly in early for their first Plenary session so as to become
familiar with the operations of 802.

Frankly, I don't think we should be making these decisions alone.  I
think we should put together a poll with a couple of key questions along
the lines that 802.11 did, and see what people say.  Another possibility
we should consider is allowing WG to start their plenary meetings on the
weekend.  It seems some groups may already be looking at that.  By the
way, I know some people that flew in Thursday the week before to prep
for the actual plenary week.

Regards,

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.