[802SEC] 16m PAR comments

Roger,

Thank you for the extremely informative tutorial last night on the work in the ITU-R concerning International Mobile Telecommunications-Advanced, and the 802.16m PAR.   I found the tutorial and discussion it to be very useful.

As I mentioned last night during the Q&A section, the lack of precise, stable requirements in the PAR Scope may hinder the group from completing the standard in a timely manner.

My main concern is the relatively ambiguous "...meet the requirements of next generation mobile networks" in 5.2 Scope and the "...accordance with the requirements defined for the internationally agreed radio interface standards for next generation mobile networks such as IMT-Advanced" in 5.4 Scope.

My suggestion is to reduce the ambiguity of the requirements by having the WG define an appropriate set of specific targets for the high level requirements for the system: peak data rate, distance, station speed, etc. The benefit?  In my opinion, it will give the group a better chance to complete its work in a timely manner.  This approach seems to have worked quite well for the 802.3 WG.

Lastly, and independent of the PAR, do you think it would be viable for the 802 WGs to cooperate in developing an 802 wide submission into the IMT-Advanced requirements gathering work through the 802.18 TAG?  If yes, would you or someone in your group be willing to take a lead in the activity?

Regards,

--Paul

draft P802.16m PAR scope and purpose text are copied below for reference.

5.2 Scope of Proposed Standard: This amendment provides an advanced air interface to meet the requirements of next generation mobile networks. This standard is intended for incorporation into the IMT-Advanced standardization activity being conducted by the International Telecommunications Union - Radiocommunications Sector (ITU-R). The amendment is based on the WirelessMAN-OFDMA specification and provides continuing support for legacy subscriber stations.

5.4 Purpose of Proposed Standard: The purpose of this standard is to update the WirelessMAN-OFDMA air interface in accordance with the requirements defined for the internationally agreed radio interface standards for next generation mobile networks such as IMT-Advanced.