[802SEC] Japan Mulls over Radio Utilization Tax Information

802 EC Members,

Per my dissertation today at the Opening EC meeting here is the public
information that equates to the Japanese consideration regarding a
Radio Utilization Tax. Unfortunately, the information that is shown in
the URLs is in their native language. I have asked Kazuhiro Murakami
(Kyocera) to give a brief summary in english for your delectation. I
will forward when he gives it to me, hopefully tomorrow morning.

Regards,

/ Stuart

Source: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30094/97/
Japan mulling tax on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, other devices
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30094&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=97
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=emailform&id=30094&itemid=97

July 12, 2007
On July 5, a workshop was held by Japan's Ministry of Internal Affairs
and Communications (MIC) to consider imposing a "Radio Utilization Fee".

The fee would apply to radio devices that operate in license-free
spectrum, which includes Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Zigbee, and UWB technologies.

The rationale behind the charge appears to be the Ministry's desire to
control "illegal" "radio stations" and to promote "efficient" RF
spectrum utilization. Japanese consumers already pay a yearly 420 Yen
fee for each mobile phone.

The Ministry opened a public comment phase, which closes on next
Thursday, July 19.

While the proposed fee is for Japan only, there is obvious industry
concern about the establishment of a precedent that could be followed
by other countries.

References to the proposal (in Japanese) and related documents can be
found at the following links:

Proposal summary
<http://www.soumu.go.jp/s-news/2007/070705_3.html >

July 5 pre-meeting
http://www.soumu.go.jp/s-news/2007/pdf/070705_3_bs1.pdf July 5 meeting report
http://www.soumu.go.jp/s-news/2007/pdf/070705_3_bs2.pdf Background for
the wave utilization charge system
http://www.tele.soumu.go.jp/j/fees/purpose/index.htm

----- End forwarded message -----

Source: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30094/97/=20
Japan mulling tax on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, other devices    =
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index2.php?option=3Dcom_content&task=3Dvie=
w&id=3D30094&pop=3D1&page=3D0&Itemid=3D97  =
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/index2.php?option=3Dcom_content&task=3Dema=
ilform&id=3D30094&itemid=3D97=20

Tim Higgins           =20
July 12, 2007         =20
[...]

http://www.tele.soumu.go.jp/j/fees/purpose/index.htm          =20

------
Jon Rosdahl                          10871 North 5750 West
hm:801-756-1496                   Highland, UT 84003
cell:801-376-6435
=20
A Job is only necessary to eat!
A Family is necessary to be happy