Re: [802SEC] Rome decison

G'day Andrew -

I suspect that we are mostly in violent agreement here.

I agree that if we end up going to Rome, that the EC should provide
the membership with a coherent rationale. However, I have to say that
I believe we would find that difficult to achieve. Right now I am
having great difficulty seeing any virtues in Rome other than the
fact that it is nNA - I personally don't believe that is enough of a
justification, and on a personal level, painting it as a rational and
justifiable choice might tax my sense of integrity just a little too far.

I don't think it is just the room costs - the location is, to put it
politely, just a tad less than ideal: the hotel cannot accommodate
more than about half of the potential attendees; alternative hotels
and the downtown areas of Rome are a pain to reach; the "hinterland"
is great if you want to buy a Toyota or you are heavily into
newly-constructed industrial areas, but desperately poor if you want
a meal outside the hotel; the nearest train station is over a mile
away and not recommended after dark. Apart from that, it is just great...

I would very much agree with your comments regarding vacation venues.
I remember with great amusement the letter that 802 provided for
attendees to help them justify to their management the fact that we
were holding meetings in Hawaii - I really don't want us to have to
do that again.

I suspect that one hop from SFO may constrain the scope just a little
too much, but I see where you are going with this. As someone that
generally finds that 2 hops is the absolute minimum practicable
itinerary from where I live to almost anywhere useful on the rest of
the planet, I would probably put 2 hops from SFO as the baseline,
with a preference for 1.

Regards,
Tony