Re: [802SEC] +++EC 5 Day Review+++802.18 Comments on FCC Smart Grid Notice

Mike-

For your consideration
(I would probably vote disapprove this pass if I had a vote)

Page 1 Change:
4. We note that many of the questions raised in this NOI are a repeat of questions already posed within the NIST Smart Grid Interoperabilty Standards Project. Answers to these

5.  questions derived from the NIST...

To:
4. We note that many of the questions raised in this NOI are a repeat of questions already posed within the NIST Smart Grid Interoperabilty Standards Project.

5.  Answers to these questions derived from the NIST ...

Regarding your response to #8 where you say:

   "On the other hand, applications such as automatic meter reading and
   data beyond SCADA, which are more latency-tolerant, could utilize
   communications technologies such as broadband wireless, satellite,
   unlicensed wireless mesh, and licensed wireless."

seems to (inappropriately) exclude wired 802 technologies. Much of the grid metering will be in easy reach of the wired network infrastructure. This particular aspect of network usage is about connectivity, not bandwidth. The bandwidth requirements are trivial. Connection to the wired network infrastructure belonging to the customer or to service provide premises gateway devices should be included within the scope of consideration.

Slightly further along in #8
Change:
"Power system equipment located in remote regions are not usually able to take advantage of public wireless networks..."
To either:
"Power system equipments located in remote regions are not usually able to take advantage of public wireless networks..."
-OR-
"Power system equipment located in remote regions is not usually able to take advantage of public wireless networks..."

...And at the end of that same sentence where it says:
"...require the installation of private wireless or wired networks."
Change to:
"...require the installation of private wireless or wired networks with independent power capability."

Add to #12
"To these ends, Smart Grid commuications systems should be developed in a manner such that the higher levels of the software stack are independent of considerations of the implementation of Layers 1 and 2 to the greatest extent possible."

Number 16
"No comment"
should be replaced with a mention of both ensuring and keeping track of the power systems which energize all communications elements of Smart Grid. For Smart Grid to be fully functional in emergency situations there may very well be rerouting of communications required that goes beyond the normal reconfiguration capability of the nominal network. Access to a database that details the power source capabilities of each communication system element may well be a critical item in determining priorities when scheduling the repair of system elements in a disaster situation.

Number 17:
I do not consider the statement to be true.
The statement would be more accurate if it restricted itself to broadband facilities. The desire to implement a "Smart Grid" should not cause regulators or implementers to lose sight of the fact that much of the necessary communications capability can be met by wired networking at speeds that can be handled by service either ordinary telephone lines (via autodialer) or by (multi-drop, if necessary) dedicated telco circuits on the in-place infrastructure.

Number 18:
Should be answered in light my comment above.

Number 19:
See comment above. Should no be limited to broadband for a reply.

Number 42:
Change:
"...allowing large numbers of users to efficiently use the radio channels."
To:
"...allowing large numbers of users to efficiently share use of the radio channels."

Number 54:    Spellcheck

That's all

Geoff