From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Nancy Bravin
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 8:49 PM
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Updated files for Telecon on June 5th 10am ET

Dear James, a

Yes, this is true, and maybe the example is not a good one, but lets look at another. Once at a venue, all contracts signed, capacity and wireless systems are promised
to take care of the needs of a meeting. Some partners and Chairs arrive early to get things going, at an interim this may not include all voting EC members. And, as has happened
before, what is needed is not what is provided putting in jeopardy the wireless abilities for the meeting. The partnership of 802 members/ and the for profit business trusted
partner goes into action to make things right, get the venues contractors there to tell them how to rectify the situation.  But alas, not all the equipment
is available instantaneously, and some things need to be bought on the spot, paid back by the venue, yet at any amount, who is there should it be ahead of time
or it is an interim to authorize anything?   Contingencies do happen, so at the least, One of the Chairs that arrives early enough to authorize
such expenses, even to be paid back or deducted by the venue has to happen, has happened, and luckily the Chair who was there took care of the situation
with the trusted for profit partner.  Where to put this in the Chairs rules at an interim or otherwise?

No one expects these things...but they do, on occasion happen. OF course the EC would approve after the fact, it is the after the fact that worries me.
But I will yield to your judgement.

Sincerely, Nancy

On Jun 4, 2012, at 6:49 PM, James P. K. Gilb wrote:

> All
>
> I disagree on point 1.  If those positions need additional funding, then we should put it into the contract and not in the OM. Furthermore, two of our service providers are for-profit business (a good thing) and the purpose of the money is to defray the cost for volunteers, not for businesses.
>
> I, for one, would like to know what are "appropriate expenses".  I don't think we should put it in the OM, but rather in the Chair's guidelines.  I think that "appropriate expenses" might include:
> - Food and drink for celebrating a major milestone (e.g., cake and sparkling apple juice).
> - Recognition gifts/awards for service to 802 or one of its sub groups
> - etc.
>
> As for 2), I agree with Clint that we should make sure that each venue is explicitly approved by the EC.  It can be a consent agenda item, or failing that, we can consider it on an email ballot.  I would also suggest that we explicitly approve any future sites (including those already scheduled) at our next meeting (or earlier, if Clint needs to approve money for them).  The EC Treasurer can then keep track of when each meeting venue was approved by the EC.
>
> James Gilb
>
> On 06/03/2012 12:38 PM, Everett O. (Buzz) Rigsbee wrote:
>> Hi Clint,    I have two comments to make on your slides:
>>
>> 1.  We need to include the meeting manager, the network manager, and the
>> meeting planner in the list of persons authorized to make the $500
>> expenditure between each plenary session, since they are the persons who are
>> most often called upon to make needed expenditures in support of session
>> arrangements for items such as printers, PC support items, badge stock&
>> expendables, gifts&  plaques, flowers, etc.
>>
>> 2.  It has always been the convention that all meeting site selection
>> decisions are presented to the EC and voted upon explicitly as part of the
>> EC closing meeting.  It is only a very recent trend that such decisions were
>> pushed off of the EC agenda for lack of time and therefore not explicitly
>> voted upon.  Hopefully our new rules will ensure that site selections are
>> given higher priority on the agenda so that those decisions are correctly
>> documented.
>>
>> Thanx, Buzz
>> Please note my contact info:
>> Dr. Everett O (Buzz) Rigsbee