Re: [802SEC] Draft press release for review - IEEE 802.3 400 Gb/s Ethernet Study Group

If what you mean is that we have seen continuing growth in the bandwidth available, and expect that to continue, then the phrase "ever-increasing, exponential network bandwidth growth rates" is not what you mean.  I don't know what an exponential network is, but I'm pretty sure that's not where you want the adjective applied and not something 802 has standardized.

It may only be PR but it should still not be technically wrong. The wording as it is is confusing. Well as James points out, "exponential growth" could mean anything, including negative growth, so it isn't wrong, but it has negative information content, which may be worse in this context.

I'd much rather hear arguments as to why I'm wrong, but it would better serve the interests of 802 to just fix it ;-).

-Ben

David,
My input on the suggested wording that James and other has suggested.

The offending statement under consideration is
"to efficiently support ever-increasing, exponential network bandwidth growth rates."

Essentially, my interpretation of the comments is to suggest to remove either ever- increasing or exponential.  I disagree with these comments per the explanation below.

  • "Ever-increasing" - this implies that this a continuing trend.  It is essentially putting a timing on  the growth rate, i.e. not a recent trend, and from what I can tell based on the conversations I am having, nothing that is going to change.

  • "exponential" describes the type of growth we are seeing.

  • Therefore, I believe applying both of these adjectives to the sentence is appropriate and frankly provides more clarity than the suggested rewording.

Perhaps someone has a better choice of words for "ever-increasing" but I believe that the wording is appropriate for a press release.

John