Re: [802SEC] Interpretation of reciprocal credit "rule"

Adrian

First, to answer your question, I prefer a), which necessitates selecting a home group when you have more than one.

Now for my opinion regarding the rules.

Below, I have a long discussion on what the minutes said early part of the 21st century regarding the .18 and .19. However, since you probably don't want to read all that, here is my conclusion: By our rules, the WG Chair is allowed to confer voting membership
-------------------------------
7.2.1. Establishment
"Membership may be declared at the discretion of the WG Chair (e.g., for contributors by correspondence or other significant contributions to the WG)."
-------------------------------
So, by whatever method is defined by the Chair of a WG, reciprocal credit (as defined by the WG Chair) may be extended.

AFAIK: There is no 802 rule or motion that covers it. Ask your WG chair for a ruling.

Here starts the long answer. I was not there, but the minutes speak as follows:

March 2002: 802.11, 802.15, and 802.16 requested the formation of a Radio Regulatory TAG. It appears that the motion that was approved was:
"To establish a new Technical Advisory Group for Radio
Regulatory matters and direct the interim Chair to work with the
Chairs of 802.11, 802.15 and 802.16, by email correspondance to develop an SEC approved charter for the TAG"
(Moved Hayes, second Kerry, approve 9/0/0)

At that time the WGs had different views, including that the TAG would consist of two appointed members from each wireless WG, where in other cases (e.g. 802.16) there was a desire "To grant attendance credit to WG members attending the RR TAG"

Carl Stevenson was appointed as the first Chair of the RR TAG (March 2002). "Carl’s appointment was affirmed unanimously." (there is no comment in the minutes if the Recording Secretary asked for the proposed TAG chair for his letters, they may have not been required at that point).

The proposed change in the rules died for lack of a second and another motion was proposed: "Moved: to use the proposed rules change in document RR-02/038r0 as a basis for a rules change letter ballot on TAG operation in the context of the Radio Regulatory TAG, to be issued at the July 2002 Plenary." In the July minutes, there is no mention of the status of this motion.

(As an aside, not only was this pre-mentor days, I am pretty sure it was balloon with CF card days.)

Note that a Coexistence SG was chartered at this meeting with very specific goals "To establish an SEC Coexistence Study Group. The Study Group shall develop a recommendation to the SEC for developing coexistence practice and process within 802." (moved Thompson, seconded Jeffree) Jim Lansford was the chair of the study group (what we would now call an ECSG).

Note, however, that by July 2002, the RR TAG had bee formed.

At the July opening plenary, Stevenson presented (apparently without any motion confirming this): o Attendance at .18 sessions counts towards maintaining voting rights in your “home” WG o Those attending 75% or more of the .18 sessions at this meeting gain voting rights ... after this meeting, normal attendance requirements to gain (and maintain) voting rights will take effect

My sense is that the individual working groups, either by Chair's fiat or by motion had approved this. Note that AFAIK, there is no 802 position on this. For example 802.3 is not granting "reciprocal credits" at this point (or at any point in the future, AFAIK).

At this point, the TAG did not have special status in the rules (it was one of the tasks of that plenary).

The 802.18 charter document 18-02—012r0, was approved at the closing plenary (moved: Stevenson/O’Hara, passed 5/0/4). Note that this is not on the normal mentor site, you need to go to the deep dark archives for this one. Voting rights were not mentioned in the TAG charter or the Rules changes presented at this meeting.

(Note: Carl's election at 802.18 Chair is confirmed at the July, 2002 closing plenary, Moved: Kerry/Thompson, Passes: 9/0/0).

(Note 2: Lansford is already tagged to be 802.19 TAG Chair an Mark Klerer is the chair of the soon to be enmeshed in controversy ECSG MBWA (aka: 802:20))

After this, there does not appear to be discussion on attendance, my guess is that this is handled on a WG by WG basis.

IMHO.

James Gilb