Re: [802SEC] request for feedback on the proposal to establish a SCC on Transportation

My input below – I’ve listed the transportation related IEEE 802 projects I’m aware of - please suggest others if I’ve left some out. Pat

There are already significant standards projects for transportation underway. Some of these are for intra-vehicle networks (i.e. networks between devices within a single vehicle – an area that is missing from the explicit list of interactions in the scope: “human to vehicle, vehicle to vehicle, vehicle to infrastructure, vehicle to platform, and vehicle to everything exchange of information and data” but that didn’t claim to be an exclusive list.

IEEE 802 technologies also have a role in vehicle to vehicle and vehicle to other things communication.

Any work on Transportation Networking should take the IEEE 802 work into account and coordinate with IEEE 802. While societies can join the SCC, it isn’t clear how the SCC will interact with a Sponsor conducting transportation work.

List of IEEE 802 projects that apply specifically to the needs for networks in cars and other transportation:

IEEE P802.3bp Standard for Ethernet Amendment Physical Layer Specifications and Management Parameters for 1 Gb/s

Operation over Fewer than Three Twisted Pair Copper Cable – which is developing a short distance single balanced pair 1000 Mb/s Ethernet Physical layer (1000BASE-T1 PHY) for automotive use.

IEEE P802.3bu Standard for Ethernet Amendment: Physical Layer and Management Parameters for 1-Pair Power over Data Lines (PoDL) – to provide power over single balanced pair links.

There is also a PAR under consideration at the July meeting for a single balanced pair 100 Mb/s Physical layer amendment.

And projects that are intended to meet the timing needs of automotive/transportation as well as industrial networks:

IEEE P802.1 ASbt Timing and Synchronization:  Enhancements and Performance Improvements

IEEE P802.1Qbu Frame Preemption

IEEE P802.3br Standard for Ethernet: Amendment Interspersing Express Traffic (the IEEE 802.3 support for IEEE P802.1Qbu)

IEEE P802.1Qbv Enhancements for Scheduled Traffic

IEEE P802.1CB Frame Replication and Elimination for Reliability

IEEE P802.1Qcc Stream Reservation Protocol (SRP) Enhancements and Performance Improvements