[802SEC] FW: [STDS-802-11-REG] FCC Notice Of Inquiry 14-154 asks about adding 64-71 GHz as licensed or as Part 15

FYI,

From Peter Ecclesine, see below.

John

John Notor
President/Chief Technologist
Notor Research

Mobile: 1.408.316.8312
Web: www.notor.com

From: Peter Ecclesine <pecclesi@cisco.com>
Date: Monday, October 20, 2014 at 9:10 AM
To: <STDS-802-11-REG@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Subject: [STDS-802-11-REG] FCC Notice Of Inquiry 14-154 asks about adding 64-71 GHz as licensed or as Part 15

http://www.fcc.gov/document/noi-examine-use-bands-above-24-ghz-mobile-broadband

FCC 14-154

4. 60 GHz Bands (57-64 GHz and 64-71 GHz)

70. Bandwidth: 7 gigahertz and 7 gigahertz, respectively.

71. Licensing Status: There are no licensed operations in any of these bands. Unlicensed

operation within the 57-64 GHz band is permitted under Part 15 of our rules.109 Non-Federal government

operators of outdoor radio equipment in the 57-64 GHz band segment are not required to obtain

individual licenses or seek coordination with NTIA if they limit average EIRP to 82 dBm minus 2 dB for

every dB that their antenna gain is less than 51 dBi.110 Last year, the Commission expanded the use of

Part 15 devices in the 57-64 GHz band in order to “help the Commission fulfill its objectives to bring

broadband access to every American by providing additional competition in the broadband market,

lowering costs for small business owners accessing broadband services, and supporting the deployment of

4th generation (4G) and other wireless services in densely populated areas.”111 Specifically, the

Commission allowed longer communication distances for outdoor point-to-point systems in the 57-64

GHz band by allowing higher powers, specified emission limits as an EIRP power level to provide

uniformity and consistency in the rules, and eliminated the requirement for certain devices in the 57-64

GHz band to transmit identification information.112 Frequencies from 64-71 GHz are not among those

listed in our rules as available for licenses issued in the terrestrial Fixed Service113 or for any satellite

services except for inter-satellite service.114 Our rules list 65-71 GHz as available for Inter-Satellite (ISS)

licenses,115 but there are no current ISS licenses.116

72. Status of Mobile Allocation and Rights: Each of the 60 GHz bands has co-primary

mobile allocations.117 In the 64-66 GHz band, aeronautical mobile operation is prohibited.118 As noted

above, the only operations in those bands are in the 57-64 GHz band pursuant to Part 15 of the rules.

73. Other Authorized Services: The 65-71 GHz band is authorized for ISS links.119 There

are currently no active satellite licenses in that band. There is also a series of allocations for Federal and

non-Federal Fixed, Radiolocation, Radionavigation-Satellite, Earth Exploration-Satellite, and ISS

operations throughout these bands.120 International and domestic rules also indicate that any use of the

66-71 GHz band by the land mobile service is subject to not causing interference to, and accepting

interference from, the space radiocommunication services in this band.121

74. We seek comment on the advisability of amending our rules to allow unlicensed Part 15

operations in the 64-71 GHz band segment. As an alternative, we seek comment on the possibility of

authorizing licensed operations in that band. We request commenters to provide supporting information

on existing or in development viable technology that would be envisioned for this band. We also seek

comments on any interference that either licensed or unlicensed advanced mobile operations in the 65-71

GHz band segment

Peter Ecclesine, Technology Analyst

MS SJ-14-4 170 West Tasman Dr, San Jose, CA 95134-1706

Ph 408/527-0815, FAX 408/525-9256

"Time doesn't fool around."  "Without Prejudice" U.C.C. 1-308

Instead, go to http://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=STDS-802-11-REG and then press the LEAVE button.