[802SEC] Proposed Industry Connections activity - IEEE 802 network enhancements for the next decade

Colleagues,

A draft IEEE-SA Industry Connections Activity Initiation Document (ICAID) form in relation to a proposed IEEE 802.1 Industry Connections activity for IEEE 802 network enhancements for the next decade has been prepared:

https://mentor.ieee.org/omniran/dcn/16/omniran-16-0084-04-5gaa-draft-icaid-for-5g-sc-action-a.docx

This is the result of the 802.1 OmniRAN TG addressing the EC 5G/IMT-2020 SC Action A.   The ICAID was developed in a number of special meetings of OmniRAN TG with participation across IEEE 802. The discussions leading to the agreed ICAID are captured in the following meeting minutes:

Dec 6th confcall: https://mentor.ieee.org/omniran/dcn/16/omniran-16-0093-00-5gaa-dec-6th-5gaa-conference-call-minutes.docx

January 18th F2F meeting: https://mentor.ieee.org/omniran/dcn/17/omniran-17-0012-00-5gaa-jan-18th-5gaa-f2f-meeting-minutes.docx

Jan 31st confcall: https://mentor.ieee.org/omniran/dcn/17/omniran-17-0016-00-5gaa-jan-31st-5gaa-confcall-minutes.docx

Based on past practice in relation to previous IEEE 802.3 Industry Connection activities, an ICAID requires the endorsement of both the IEEE 802.1 Working Group and the IEEE 802 Executive Committee.  This ICAID is pending IEEE 802.1 Working Group endorsement at the March plenary.   After this approval I will place it on the IEEE 802 Executive Committee closing agenda.

While the 802 P&P does not require pre-circulation nor review by other WGs, please let your WG members aware of this ICAID.  If there is any interest or comments please encourage your members to join the OmniRAN TG session at the March plenary.

I would further note that the submittal deadline for the March SASB is Feb 10th.   As a result, I will pre-submit to ICcom, but will remove it from their agenda if either 802.1 or EC endorsement fails.

Cheers,

Glenn.

--

Glenn Parsons - Chair, IEEE 802.1