Let's say I'm the 802.a Chair. At coffee, Member X gripes to me that they can't get their contribution accepted in 802.b because everyone is against them. Have I "received a complaint of dominance"? Arguably, yes. But I think it's a bad idea to require me to report this to the 802 Chair, who is then obligated to report it to the SASB Chair; I don't think this is an optimal direction for any of the parties. I think a better approach is for me to suggest that Member X raise the issue with the 802.b Chair (and the Ombudsman if that's not satisfactory) or go directly to the Ombudsman first for an informal discussion. Member X should be able to find and follow the proper procedure to make a complaint, and it shouldn't involve a bystander. That's my thinking.

Cheers,

Roger
On Oct 23, 2018, 1:41 PM -0600, George Zimmerman <george@cmephyconsulting.com>, wrote:

All – I’m curious why we would limit the obligation to report a complaint as significant as an allegation of dominance.

It seems we create situations where reporting may be rendered ineffective either through (perceived or actual) conflicts of interest, or lack of a ‘duty’ to pass the information on.

-george

From: Roger Marks <r.b.marks@ieee.org>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 9:46 PM
To: George Zimmerman <george@cmephyconsulting.com>; Geoff Thompson <thompson@ieee.org>
Cc: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG; James Gilb <Gilb_IEEE@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [802SEC] New subclauses for LMSC P&P

I think that's fine. Still, I don't think that the rules should require the Ombudsman to forward inquiries about dominance.

Per the latest draft rule discussion circulated by James, the Subgroup Chair shall report a suspicion or complaint of dominance. There is no such obligation on the Ombudsman to make such a report. I think that's the way it should be. If an individual has a concern about dominance but is not ready to raise a formal complaint, I think the individual should be able to raise concerns c*nf*d*ntially with the Ombudsman without triggering a formal complaint.

Along those lines, I suggest that we change the circulated dominance text as follows:

The intention is to eliminate ambiguity about whether each Sponsor Subgroup Chair is responsible for dominance in all the other Sponsor Subgroups.

Cheers,

Roger