From: Stanley, Dorothy <dorothy.stanley@hpe.com>
Date: Wed, May 8, 2019 at 3:44 PM
Subject: RE: [802SEC] +++ 5 day EC Motion+++ Approval of IEEE 802 Comments to ACMA consultation on their Five-year spectrum outlook 2019-23
To: Jay Holcomb <jholcomb@ieee.org>, STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG <STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org>

Hello Jay,

Comments below. Based on your response, I’ll subsequently send a vote.

Thanks,

Dorothy

======

-          Editorial: Page 3, first dashed item:
 “as the best band for the range versus power benefits which these applications require.

-          Editorial: Page 3, second dashed item
from
In regards to question 4 of the ACMA consultation,  re-farming of bands, since 2011, ACMA has considered the possibility of re-farming the 803-960 MHz (https://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Spectrum/Spectrum-projects/800-and-900-MHz-bands/review-of-the-803-960-mhz-band). So far, the focus is on the reconfiguration of licensing in the 900 MHz ‘GSM’ band (890–915/935–960 MHz).  The consultation of re-farming these identified bands is ongoing.  Their planned work on the facilitation of early access to the 928–935 MHz band for low-power wide-area IoT applications is still pending and IEEE 802 would encourage ACMA to allow IoT for in 928-935 MHz as soon as possible.

In regards to question 4 of the ACMA consultation (re-farming of bands): Since 2011, ACMA has considered the possibility of re-farming the 803-960 MHz band (https://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Spectrum/Spectrum-projects/800-and-900-MHz-bands/review-of-the-803-960-mhz-band). So far, the focus is on the reconfiguration of licensing in the 900 MHz ‘GSM’ band (890–915/935–960 MHz).  The consultation of re-farming these identified bands is ongoing.  The planned work on the facilitation of early access to the 928–935 MHz band for low-power wide-area IoT applications is still pending and IEEE 802 would encourage ACMA to allow IoT for in 928-935 MHz as soon as possible.

-          Editorial: List item 6: Add a comma after “question 4”. From “These will increase” to “These advances will increase”
and in the second sub-bullet from “Extremely High Throughput” to “The Extremely High Throughput amendment”

-          Potentially Non-editorial – Page 4, list item 7, second sub-bullet. The statement in the second bullet is overly vague and should be deleted.

o   Who is creating the DB? ACMA?

o   “all RF spectrum use” Is the DB local to Australia? Global?

o   “maximum utilization” – isn’t effective utilization enough? Cost of maximum utilization likely prohibitive.

o   “monitor and manage interference” This sounds like an over-reaching continuously monitoring system that has not yet been instantiated.
The very limited UK experiment (24 sites, see
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/research-and-data/technology/radio-spectrum/spectrum-use/ams) is unlikely to be expanded. Not all frequencies have the same value and warrant continuous monitoring.

o   What is the “finite resource”? All RF spectrum – to terahetz  -is finite?

o   Transmissions from low power devices (e.g. nearly all WLANs) do not need to be tracked and monitored by a central system

In regard to the longer-term view, IEEE 802 believes that creating and maintaining a dynamic database of all RF spectrum use will enable the maximum utilization of this finite resource. It can monitor and manage interference to licensed users and critical national defense spectrum, while opening a large amount of spectrum for opportunistic use, such as for disaster recovery and bringing broadband to unserved or underserved segments of the population.”

Dorothy Stanley

Hewlett Packard Enterprise

dorothy.stanley@hpe.com

+1 630-363-1389