From: "Annette Reilly" <annetterieee@gmail.com>
To: "'Paul Nikolich'" <paul.nikolich@att.net>
Cc: "'Adam Newman'" <a.newman@ieee.org>; "Matthew Ceglia" <m.j.ceglia@ieee.org>; "Dave Ringle" <d.ringle@ieee.org>; "'David Law'" <David_Law@ieee.org>; "Dorothy Stanley" <dstanley1389@gmail.com>; "Jon Rosdahl" <jrosdahl@ieee.org>; riccardomariani68@gmail.com
Sent: 7/18/2019 4:24:33 PM
Subject: RE: [802SEC] draft 802 EC letter regarding myProject concerns

Dear Paul,

I am writing as an individual and this is not an opinion of the IEEE-SA or Computer Society.

It is not reasonable or feasible to expect a firm cutover date for the MyProject cutover six months in advance. While it may be possible for major software vendors to schedule quarterly or semi-annual major releases, they have more flexibility for what they can choose to include or leave for another release or monthly/weekly patch. Moreover, the effect at this time would be to postpone the myProject upgrade for six months, a highly undesirable situation in view of the current backlog of changes and new work needed for the open source initiative.

It would be quite reasonable to expect a 30 or even 40-day advance notice of a firm cutover date for MyProject, to avoid the difficulties of having a ballot occur during the 5-day cutover period.

It may be necessary for 802 working groups to be more flexible with advance planning for ballots, rather than expecting schedules to be firm within a 4 or 6-month window. There  is still uncertainty about when the new myProject system will be ready for cutover, and there will be uncertainty until successful completion of staff and volunteer user testing.

I appreciate the involvement of many 802 leaders in the myProject testing so the new system will be a better foundation for your work.

Best regards,

Annette Reilly

IEEE Standards Association Standards Board

  Chair, Audit Committee (AudCom)

  Member, Procedures Committee (ProCom)

  Member, Review Committee (RevCom)

  +1.571.274.7901