[802SEC] Using IMAT during a meeting for voting

Hi Jon,

If I remember correctly you asked how IEEE 802.3 used IMAT for voting during our recent IEEE 802.3 Teleconference interim meeting, I’ve sent this email to the IEEE 802 EC and CCed John just in case this is broader interested in this. The following is a description of the basic approach, I’ve then added some additional notes about how we used it at scale during the interim for multiple votes. While it works, I’ll be first to acknowledge it’s a bit kludgy, but we approached this simply as a temporary stop-gap until the teleconference meeting voting tool that IEEE-SA is working on is made available to IEEE 802.

Best regards,

  David

-----

[1] On IMAT configure a session with a session password that is open for a few minutes with three breakouts 'Yes', 'No', and 'Abstain'. As an individual should only be able to sign in to one breakout running concurrently, they should only be able to vote 'Yes', 'No', or 'Abstain' (see screen capture below).

[2] When the vote is to be taken share the session password on the call. As a result individuals voting will be (a) authenticated with their IEEE credentials and (b) will have to be on the call when the vote happens (trusting that folk don't share the session code with others not on the call).

[3] After the session closes the vote is closed. Click on the 'Export Session attendance' to download the results the .csv file of the results (see below, I’ve obfuscated PIN and email addresses in the screen captures of this test vote).

[4] Post process the results using a Google sheet. I've set one up to eliminate anybody that voted that is not a voting member. It simply compares the SA PINs of those that voted with the SA PINs of the current voters. Paste the .csv file from IMAT into the ‘IMAT’ sheet. It then totals the votes and produces the results on the ‘results’ sheet (see below).

-----

The following are some further details of the use of IMAT for voting at the IEEE 802.3 teleconference interim.

Before our recent interim the IEEE 802.3 Recording Secretary used the IMAT Excel spreadsheet import feature to configure multiple ‘motions’ with a start and end time outside the meeting. When a motion came up for vote during the meeting the IEEE 802.3 Recording Secretary would then adjust the start and end time of the motion to be voted on to open the voting.

The voters would then refresh their IMAT view, see that motion open, and cast their votes. After a couple of votes, we observed that if all the voters kept refreshing while he was doing this it would observably slow IMAT. As a result, on subsequent votes, we ask voters to wait until the IEEE 802.3 Recording Secretary announced the motion was open before refreshing.

As an individual should only be able to sign in to one breakout running concurrently, and therefore they should only be able to vote 'Yes', 'No', or 'Abstain'. It seems that there is an edge condition that does allow individuals to sign in to more than one of the concurrent sessions. It may be due to the times being adjusted to open the vote as described above, or it may be due to some other reason. As this is a stop-gap solution we didn’t investigate further, and such instances are easy to identify through the use of the results spreadsheet.